1975 Dodge Ramcharger Project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:17 am
Howdy to all, been lurking for a while reading and learning. I figured I would post my project and introduce myself. This is my 1975 Dodge Ramcharger Poptop restoration/customization. I bought it for $500.00. It's complete for the most part. I have pretty much stripped everything off it and am about ready to buy patch panels and start with the rust removal. Based on reading and advice I saw on this site from others on other projects, I am leaving the body on the frame until all panel patching is complete to help minimize or eliminate alignment issues down the road. After patching is complete I will place the body on a rotisserie I built.

Here is the truck:

IMG_1941.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

Here is the rotisserie it will go on:

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

Thanks in advance for any advice and help I will receive along the way,

TXPower

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 am
My first point of attack will be the drivers side rear quarter panel. You can see in the photos below what I'm dealing with as far as rust. My plan is to buy a replacement bedside for the same year Dodge Truck from LMC. Once I receive the panel I will cut out as much of the rusty panel as possible and weld in the new panel.

Can anyone advise, do you think I'll be able to peel the panel away from the seam (pic where I'm pointing) where the quarter panel and bed endcaps, which are the taillight housings, join. I cant see what is under the seam but don't want to cut anything critical underneath.

FFF1CA0C-17AD-4F06-B7AB-08CD2A9D9CCB.JPG
IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

Thanks,

TXPower

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:57 pm
Is the top of the bed the only place where there is rust?
If so I would scrape off the loose scale and then media blast to remove rust. At that point you can do an evaluation of the need to replace the quarter.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:34 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Is the top of the bed the only place where there is rust?
If so I would scrape off the loose scale and then media blast to remove rust. At that point you can do an evaluation of the need to replace the quarter.

No sir, its got rust holes through to the inner fender well in a few spots on both sides. These quarter panels will require LARGE patches. I wish I had taken and posted better close-ups for ya'll to see. I suspect I will also have to do some patching of the inner-fender wells.

Thanks,

TXPower

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects