Newbie 1969 torino gt Cobra Jet

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.



Top Contributor
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Pahrump NV.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 am
A lot of these welds look really good.
What Brand and size/model welder are you using? is it 110v or 220v?
What wire size? Brand? and steel type?
What gas mix are you using as well?

Lots of New members here need info shared like that it helps others
Dennis Barnett
A&P Mechanic, FCC General radio Telephone Operator
Line Maintenance A&P Mechanic and MOC Tech specialist.



Settled In
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:29 pm
The welder is a Hobart that was borrowed from a friend. It is 220 volt, the wire is .025, just bought that at Canadian Tire. The gas is 80% argon and 20% something else.
I don't think the brand of anything is that important it just has to be a good one. I really just started welding after the car was bought a couple of months ago. Started with a $100.00 one but no mater how good you are it is very hard to weld thin sheet metal with something like that. There is some comments on welding on the first two pages.



Settled In
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm
Rust on floor boards is to much for me, so I am cutting out the bad spots and putting in repairs. After this some rust paint, Dyamat and carpet.
Attachments
DSCN4379.JPG
Cut small hole to take a look
DSCN4382.JPG
Cut out all rust, new toe board riveted in place
DSCN4389.JPG
Toe board and front patch riveted, spot welded and edge welded.
DSCN4396.JPG
Seam sealer on



Settled In
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:50 pm
Repairing front cowl area cut out old metal and replaced with new. Some final grinding, filler and paint. Not like the other post on repairing the same area but this is a driver and to take the front end apart like they did is to much for me.
Attachments
DSCN4409.JPG
DSCN4418.JPG
DSCN4419.JPG
DSCN4447.JPG



Settled In
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:22 pm
The stove pipe and area was badly rusted, to get at this part would require some major work so I had to cheat and fiberglass this area. I made a stove pipe out of heavy wall water pipe. It fits perfectly into the bottom vent and if you router the top half down it also fits perfect in the hole. It is all sealed with a rubber sealer. May not be right but it works well. It is documented and pictured If the next guy wants a better job.
Attachments
DSCN4424.JPG
Repaired with fiberglass
DSCN4429.JPG
From the bottom Heavy wall (HDPE) pipe, router to fit into place
DSCN4434.JPG
From the top
DSCN4431.JPG
Pipe fits perfect into vent, all rubber sealed



Settled In
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:13 am
Right side with welds grinded, filled, sanded, and primed to protect area untill we can do all the top cowl area. On to the left side.
Attachments
DSCN4449.JPG
DSCN4451.JPG
DSCN4453.JPG



Settled In
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:22 pm
Before the car was put away for the winter I started to look and repair the back part of the car. This was going to be the hardest for me to repair. UNTIL I found out that AMD is making about 80% of this car, lots of the parts will be ready for spring. Including the back taillight panel and the four corners of the trunk. Life just got a lot easier.
Attachments
DSCN4489.JPG
DSCN4437.JPG
DSCN4436.JPG
DSCN4435.JPG
Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests