Minor wreck - 1997 Mazda Miata - First time doing body work

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:31 pm
My son had a small accident in his Miata. It's bent up a bit, but not catastrophic. I've no doubt that, with some help, we can do this.

Long story short, the front of his car on the driver's side, went under a truck. It pushed the frame around the radiator down, and back, deflecting the pop-up headlight in the process. I attached a nylon strap to the back of our SUV, and pulled the offending structure forward, as much as I thought was safe, to verify that it didn't damage the radiator. (it did not)

My biggest dilemma, is that I'm not familiar with the tools used to do body work. I have a slide hammer, and I have a floor jack. And, as mentioned, I have a chain/strap, and a much heavier vehicle.

I'm not exactly sure what happens after I get this mess unfolded. Particularly the area around the driver's head lamp and marker light. If the metal is folded to a crease, will I need to cut and weld? (I can do both) I have a Millermatic 211 welder, spot weld removal tools, several 4" grinders.

Please have a look at the pictures, and let me know what your questions are, and what I can clarify.

Thank you in advance

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:32 pm
OK, let's just to try to focus this, since everyone is jumping in all at once... :D

The first question I have is, how do I unfold that crease in pictures 3 and 5? (around the front driver turn signal)

My thoughts are that I may need to pull upwards with an engine hoist, while trying to pull it out with a combo of slide hammer and body hammer. Additionally, I feel that I may need to "buck" the metal from the outside, while I'm pulling from the inside, so as to give some form to work to.

Do creases, after pulling, need to be sliced and welded? Or if I have a crease of that magnitude, do I just need to cut a section from a donor car, and weld it back in?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:43 pm
Mhan7 wrote:OK, let's just to try to focus this, since everyone is jumping in all at once... :D

The first question I have is, how do I unfold that crease in pictures 3 and 5? (around the front driver turn signal)

My thoughts are that I may need to pull upwards with an engine hoist, while trying to pull it out with a combo of slide hammer and body hammer. Additionally, I feel that I may need to "buck" the metal from the outside, while I'm pulling from the inside, so as to give some form to work to.

Do creases, after pulling, need to be sliced and welded? Or if I have a crease of that magnitude, do I just need to cut a section from a donor car, and weld it back in?

in my own opinion, the best bet would be to look at diagrams of structural components then start drilling spot welds out and replacing those components. you can find more diagrams and part prices here:
https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/show ... gory=20229

its going to be the easiest route for ya.

cool car,too. needs a v8. :)

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:33 pm
tomsteve wrote:in my own opinion, the best bet would be to look at diagrams of structural components then start drilling spot welds out and replacing those components. you can find more diagrams and part prices here:
https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/show ... gory=20229

its going to be the easiest route for ya.

cool car,too. needs a v8. :)

Thanks.

What is the best way to ensure proper orientation and alignment, when I start replacing parts that have been drilled/cut out? How do I establish reference?

Regarding the V8... first it needs to have the dents pulled, then the title transferred, and then the rollbar and hard top installed. Then, and only then, the V8 :mrgreen:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:23 am
Mhan7 wrote:
tomsteve wrote:
Thanks.

What is the best way to ensure proper orientation and alignment, when I start replacing parts that have been drilled/cut out? How do I establish reference?

Regarding the V8... first it needs to have the dents pulled, then the title transferred, and then the rollbar and hard top installed. Then, and only then, the V8 :mrgreen:

i think the best way would be to first look for information/videos online that show the process to replace the parts. say youre replacing the radiator core support. search for something like,"miata radiator core support replacement."
learn how each part gets replaced.
when ive had situations where quite a few components needed to be replaced, i waited until i had them all in before welding in permanently. get them spot welded in and check fit of parts like headlights and fenders.
its wise to take pictures before and during disassembly,too.
its also good to be able to visualize how it is all to go back. thats where the www can come in handy to find pics/videos to see how it is supposed to be when done.

compeletey different than bodywork, but might show how the www can help:
i had an 83 cutlass dropped off that a friend started doing the heads in the fall, wrapped it up to go to fla for the winter, came home and i think he didnt remember how it all went back together so brought it to me.
i was having a time with the vacuum line routing and couldnt find anything specific to this car. i found a video with the exact same car and he happened to hone in on the vacuum diagram on the rad support. that helped me get r done.

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects