2008 BMW m3 Carbon Fiber Roof Refinish

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:30 pm
I bought an 2008 BMW m3 a while back with a few blemishes and one of those was failing clear coat on the carbon fiber roof. At first I wanted to blend the clear but realized that due to the missing clear, the carbon fiber had discoloration in a few spots.

I started using an air gun just to see how much of the clear would come off and turns out, all of it did... So that was pretty nice.

I was a little bit hesitant to sand a whole heck of a lot on the resin of the carbon fiber as I didn't want to sand through any fibers. So I prepped and sprayed a coat of clear and I was not happy with the result. You could see all the discoloration still. Not acceptable...

I ended up sanding all the clear coat off and then blocking the resin carefully. Turns out this resin is quite a bit harder then the clear coat. To the point where I went through a ridiculous amount of sandpaper just to get it smooth and flat. Re-spraying was a night and day difference. No discoloration and the clear flowed out very nicely. Unfortunately I don't have a booth so it still had some crap in it, but overall looks amazing now. I also tinted the clear about 1% black just to give a little shadow to the carbon. I plan to flatten the clear coat and then rent a booth to do the final flow coat.

Clearcoat flying off with air:
Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 19.32.32.png

First round of prep:
IMG_4778.JPG

Clear sprayed:
IMG_1645.JPG

You can see if you look closely that the clear is not super flat, and their is some discoloration around the shark fin antenna area. That was not going to work, so removal process started...

Clear coat stripped and roof blocked out:
IMG_4513.JPG

2 coats of clear and looking much better:
IMG_8501.JPG

Next up, smooth out the clear, flow coat, then cut and polish!

Thanks for looking!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 am
Looking good.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects