Land Rover Defender Restoration

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:15 pm
Good afternoon all.

First post and first bodywork restoration in a while. I've attached some pics.

Its an interesting vehicle, chassis and strength with steel, aluminium panels.

It needs a full respray, not one panel was perfect, all of them had at least a couple of spots of oxidisation.

Taking the spots back to metal, plat to etch prime, high build prime and prepare it for spraying though I will not be spraying it myself (I don;t have the space)

So a couple of questions, if anyone has some insight:
1. I am removing a lot of rivets as they hold the steel and aluminium together. The rivets will be replaced and will ultimately be painted. Am I correct in thinking that the rivets will need priming (etch self?) I plan on priming and preping the surfaces before re-mating and riveting.
2. Given that 80% of the base colour is fine, I am sanding back, close to the original primer. Should I then apply another primer before the top coat or let the original primer do its job>
3. I don't need to use self etch primer on the steel panels, so can I use a generic primer on that as well as further coats on the aluminium?
The car is 30 years old.

All advice gratefully recieved.

Adey P
Now how do I post pics on here?
Link to some instagram pics
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp5KH6slJcK ... -HsPaFoYh/

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:48 pm
See my signature for link regarding how to post pictures.

This is one of the cases where I think it makes a lot of sense to use an epoxy primer, on everything. You don't want to use some sort of 'generic' primer on a mix of steel and aluminum panels. Also, if the original primer is sound it is still a very good idea to seal it with something -- and epoxy would cover you there, as well.

Also you need to protect against galvanic corrosion, where dissimilar metals come into contact. This is why (for example) you can't even use the same prep/sanding tools on aluminum that you are using on steel -- the steel dust will get into the aluminum and cause it to corrode prematurely. So I would really try to coat everything where it comes into contact, before assembly (if possible).

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:57 am
IMG_4044.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG
IMG_4040.JPG

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects