Saab 96 1970 -Duplicolor and Harbor Freight

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:24 am
Hi, I am learning to paint my car for the first time. I just went cheap on my first try using Duplicolor Primer & Paint from O'Reiley's Auto Parts. I also picked up a LVLP gun at Harbor Freight and have a 8 gallon 125psi compressor also from Harbor Freight.

My car is a 1970 Saab 96. Just trying to learn to paint a car and keep from going crazy in the winter time. I have a heated garage so I like to tinker. I bought this car a couple of
months ago and plan to restore it the best I can.

Just need to do some more painting on the front grill and then do clear coat. Anybody know a good clear coat i can use from a local auto parts center?

Here is my car after spraying two coats of the silver paint.

I think it looks decent for a first time, but we'll see what happens with the clear coat added.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kT8FaHjGhsewW3Q26

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:30 am
I am not familiar with Duplicolor paint but looking online it is a lacquer based product.
Lacquer is old school and most of today's products are urethane based.

The mistake most newbies make is to start painting first and asking questions later.
Hopefully someone with more experience with this product will have some advice for you.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:36 pm
Here is some pics of my job.

I used a better quality clear coat, it is from Napa and it's called Finish 1.

I did some graphics with carbon wrap. I painted the wheels and wheel wells and front grill jet black, the rest of the car is a silver metallic.

Still working on it but it's coming along.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:38 pm
This was the car when I went to pick it up. Looked decent I guess but I just wanted a different look.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:40 pm
For anyone wanting to spray with a $10 gun and a $100 compressor I am here to tell you that it definitely can be done. I didn't have to wait for the compressor to cycle or anything using the LVLP gun. I did not have any issues, you should use liners for the gun tank and an inline filter is a good idea too. Oh, I bought a pressure regulator for the gun that cost me another $12 from Walmart.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:27 pm
Front panel and grill done.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:52 pm
sdb5236 wrote:Front panel and grill done.

Way to go, that's some nice cheap inspiration. I've heard tell the Duplicolor is a step or two above Rustoleum and and roller but you saved plenty for entry fees, tires and gas for the next rally :rockon:
If you like it i couldn't be happier.

How many coats and quarts did you use?

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects