Introduction - TR6 Restoration

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:09 pm
I generally figure 10 oz of RTS (ready to spray) clear, per coat, per panel. That's more that most guys but I hate running out during a job, plus I have been known to get clumsy and spill a cup on the shop floor. :whoops:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:51 am
The shop called back and said they had a gallon, so I ran by to pick it up. And, drum roll..................the last two panels were sprayed this morning. All the panels are going to need some sanding / polishing but I knew that going in.

I still have to spray the hinges, etc, but I can do that with the little bargain detail gun I purchased.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:01 pm
Well, I shot the hinges, etc. last night so I could be "done" with shooting paint. Spent the day cleaning up that garage bay, windows where the exhaust fans were, washed a bit of dry overspray off the front stone work, removed the dividing wall, reinstalled my MaxJax lift, etc. Planning to wet sand, and polish the couple of small areas on the tub that are visible this week so I could do chassis mating next weekend. That's a huge milestone as it frees up a garage bay, and then I can do some "fun" work on the car while I tackle the wet sanding of all the body panels.

AND then I discover this. I shot this trunk lid hanging off the hinge bolts, so the rear of the trunk was facing down. Advantage of this is I could shoot both sides in one session. But I obviously screwed up and didn't get close to enough paint right at the transition from the horizontal part of the trunk, to the small vertical section at the very back. The vertical section is only about 2". I got good coverage on the vertical portion just not on the very corner of the edge. It's probably 1/4" that didn't get enough BC.

Sanding and reshooting the entire panel would require a fair amount of time to reset the "booth", take it all back down, clean, etc.. Thoughts on me masking this small area and "blending" it in with my little detail gun I used to shoot the hinges. The entire panel will get wet sanded and polished if that helps.

Thoughts?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:07 pm
Sanding, and polishing, sanding and polishing. None of the panels are perfect. They sure are shiny, but up close you can definitely find defects. But I'm always my worse critic. From 5 feet this is going to look great, anyone who knows paint is going to look, and think amateur.

Still got to deal with that trunk defect above. What sucks is that the back should technically get painted satin black, which would cover all but may an 1/8" of that stripe.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:38 pm
Slowly plugging away on putting her back together. Not too bad for a rank painting amateur but there are lots of little things that I see that I would do better next time. The one thing I notice is I didn't always get enough / consistent base coat coverage. There is a bit of tiger striping in places, and a couple of spots where you I can tell I didn't get as much BC as I should have, particularly at a couple of panel edges.

She did move on her own for the first time today in probably 20 years or so. Ran through the gears on the lift, and figured she deserved a bit of sun. Lots of sorting still to do, and I'm still waiting on my interior from England. There are few more projects like putting the guts in the doors, and refinishing the dash along with gauges. But after that I need the dash pads in order to put in the dash, windshield, etc.

Thanks again to those that helped with my 1000 questions!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:13 pm
Love seeing progress pictures.
Going to be a nice looking ride when done!
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 pm
I was looking for something else, and I realized that even though y'all supplied a ton of help, I never cycled back with the finished product photos. All in all, I'm reasonably happy with how it came out for my first true frame off nut and bolt. Paint is hardly perfect, but presentable. Biggest issue was just not getting enough basecoat on a couple of panels, and under certain lighting conditions I can see a bit of striping. But after 2 years of work, and doing 99% of it myself in my home garage, it's done. But let's be honest, it's a 45 year British Car, it's never really done. It's into the sorting part of the restoration phase, but it's making longer and longer trips and ending up back on the garage on it's own which is a win.

Thanks again for all the help!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:48 pm
Well, I think it looks pretty darn awesome :goodjob:
And, look....everybody sees their flaws, mistakes, goof ups, etc. You keep running it through your head how you would have done this or that differently. That's just the way it goes. My wife has had a few Jags over the years. Trust me, those paint jobs were not that "perfect" from the factory.....
Just enjoy the ride....... :happy:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects