1986 Mustang GT T-Top - Father Son Project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:05 am
Thanks - on to guide coat and 320 in about a week! So am I good to roll everything out in the sun today? No bad side effects? It's gonna be 96 today :cry: :knockout:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:22 pm
Only 82 up this way.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:18 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Only 82 up this way.

Rub it in LOL :flatten: :flatten:

I rolled everything out into the sun. I'll do that everyday for a week then we'll start sanding on it.

What do you typically do to refinish Urethane bumpers? Do you completely strip, partially strip, or just scuff and shoot? Can you use urethane 2k primers on them?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 am

ya'll can stop this hate talk now. :happy:
been struggling to have any consistency here in west metro detroit and get out of the 50's. 24 wednesday morning and snow showers. cold,breezy,drizzly and 45 yesterday, bite me and who cares today because its friday and michigan weather can really suck.
my daily driver has some rust i need to take care of and the way the weathers going ill be doing it in august!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:25 am
tomsteve wrote:

ya'll can stop this hate talk now. :happy:
been struggling to have any consistency here in west metro detroit and get out of the 50's. 24 wednesday morning and snow showers. cold,breezy,drizzly and 45 yesterday, bite me and who cares today because its friday and michigan weather can really suck.
my daily driver has some rust i need to take care of and the way the weathers going ill be doing it in august!

We should trade for a weekend, cold and breezy sounds great! One of my best friends moved here from Detroit about 10 years ago and he always says "you don't have to shovel sunshine"

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:10 am
1tuff68 wrote:[ One of my best friends moved here from Detroit about 10 years ago and he always says "you don't have to shovel sunshine"

or drive on some of these #@*%$@# roads.
took a roadtrip to akron,oh last weekend. I75 from the ohio border north about 15-20 miles is horrible. i gotta get my tires rebalanced after that ride.
the ABS and traction control lights have been comin on now and then since,too.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:16 am
tomsteve wrote:
1tuff68 wrote:[ One of my best friends moved here from Detroit about 10 years ago and he always says "you don't have to shovel sunshine"

or drive on some of these #@*%$@# roads.
took a roadtrip to akron,oh last weekend. I75 from the ohio border north about 15-20 miles is horrible. i gotta get my tires rebalanced after that ride.
the ABS and traction control lights have been comin on now and then since,too.

That is brutal - at least there's the excuse of snow for the crappy roads. I drove the family to LA a few years ago and actually blew out a tire in a pothole there. The place is crumbling

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:07 am
Hey, I'm originally from upstate New York just south of Rochester. Grew up with all that cold weather and lake effect snow. Remember having to de-ice the car just to get the door to open and then letting it warm up for 15 minutes before the wipers would move.

Left there the first time in 1980 and moved to Texas, went back for a short spell and found it so depressing I couldn't wait to get out of there. Florida had too many bugs, Colorado is too liberal for my liking but Arizona is the place for me! Lived in northern Arizona, high desert 4400' above sea level, since February 1998. We get a touch of the 4 seasons at this altitude and I tell folks it boils down to 2 hot months (might break a 100), 2 cold months (cold, rain and snow) and the rest is sunshine and blue skies.

New York is a great place to be from! :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:22 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Hey, I'm originally from upstate New York just south of Rochester. Grew up with all that cold weather and lake effect snow. Remember having to de-ice the car just to get the door to open and then letting it warm up for 15 minutes before the wipers would move.

Left there the first time in 1980 and moved to Texas, went back for a short spell and found it so depressing I couldn't wait to get out of there. Florida had too many bugs, Colorado is too liberal for my liking but Arizona is the place for me! Lived in northern Arizona, high desert 4400' above sea level, since February 1998. We get a touch of the 4 seasons at this altitude and I tell folks it boils down to 2 hot months (might break a 100), 2 cold months (cold, rain and snow) and the rest is sunshine and blue skies.

New York is a great place to be from! :wink:

Well said my friend - that's why most of us are here. Heck, even down in the valley where I'm at it's 4 months of dry heat and 8 months of really nice weather. You get used to 115 believe it or not :knockout: The perfect weather November - April makes it all worth it

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:56 pm
So back to polyurethane bumper covers -

I plan on sanding with 180-220 to try to remove most of the old paint, trying to not get down to the raw plastic. I have one repair I need to make with the Bondo bumper repair kit then I'll epoxy prime. I'll block the epoxy with 320 and guide coat and fill small imperfections with PolyFlex. Then I'll either hit it with 2K urethane primer or another coat of epoxy and block with 500.

Can I use 2K urethane build primer on poly or is the poly too flexible?
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects