Dodge Charger Truck Build

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:53 pm
Cool stuff. I've done carbon, by itself, not with a Kevlar mix. Gets a bit expensive, with the epoxy resin, and all. Do you have a vacuum system? how many oz. cloth is it? Easy to drape over curves? It really looks cool!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:08 pm
Nope, no vacuum (well, at least not yet) for this project. Spec.s on it are....2x2 Twill 50" 3k 5.5oz. I could have gotten it in a heavier weight however I just wanted to see how easy it was to manipulate and drape by going with a little less ounces. It appears very flexible while still holding it's pattern.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:03 am
That should be flexible enough, but you'll still need some type of 'support' to keep it in shape while it's curing. That's the beauty of vacuum bagging. I've tried wrapping, shrink tubing, and other methods for different shapes, but vacuum works for all!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:01 am
We've run into that problem with certain types of leathers/fabrics/veneers in furniture restoration. I have used a "tacking glue" glue method for this which keeps things in place while they cure. It is a clear UV inhibited glue that we can set almost instantly. Just a few dots of it here and there should secure everything in place.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:39 am
Step by step instructions with pictures would be nice . . .
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:48 am
And you are the second person that has asked for that today, ha, ha. Yeah, should not be a problem. I've been studying about this stuff for 2 years now and I think I've got a few things figured out that should allow an open layup method to be fairly simple yet yielding a strong part.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:01 pm
when I first saw the title of this, I was thinking "Hmm not so sure about this". After reading through your thread and seeing the images, I'm sold! This is an awesome build! :worthy:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:19 pm
Ha,ha, anytime your main tools are a Sawzall, circular saw, and a rivet gun it's always suspect..... :wink: Hoping I do as well with the wing build..... :pcorn:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:15 pm
So today we begin "wingin' it." Well, could not resist that. And the creation begins.... Went to good ol' Home Depot and along with other shop stuff picked up a 4 x 8 sheet of pink insulation. With a process like this you could use the blue, pink, or yellow foams for your shape. If you use the yellow stuff I would remove the foil faces. So why not use white foam? The typical white foam just doesn't shape like the other foams. They are easy to cut carve to a great degree of precision. So just what are doing to make this wing? This process will be called the "lost foam" or "carbon wrap" (not to be confused with vinyl surface wraps) process. The idea will be to get a foam shape like the wing I want, then wrap it using epoxy resin and that great looking carbon/kevlar wrap I showed earlier. It has been requested (uhhhhh, more like demanded) that I do this step by step so the pictures will have some details for that.
Attachments
IMG_20210122_143505728.jpg
So for about $15 to $20 or so you should be able to pick up a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4 inch thick pink or blue foam. I think this thickness is pretty good for parts like this wing build.
IMG_20210122_145646750.jpg
I ended up cutting a single 64 inch long 10 inch wide piece. You can cut this foam with just about any saw. I cut this quickly using a Japanese back saw. That is a hand saw.
IMG_20210122_153335455.jpg
Cut out.... sanded out with some 180 grit on an air sander. I like to leave this kind of roughness in the foam surface and also like that it takes all that distracting printing off.
IMG_20210122_181021219.jpg
Okay, so what has been done is saw kerfing the underside of that flat piece front to back on each side. A circular saw blade will kind of heat up this foam as it cuts making wider kerfs. This makes each side "bendable." That allows each side leg drop and catch the trim on my bed cover.
IMG_20210122_181104294.jpg
It is dead level here with all the dimensions looking good. I'm just going to let it sit overnight, warm up that shop, and then shove filler up in the kerfs to lock it to shape. Oh, and this wing position let's me see directly through it in my rear view mirror. Only the wing outline can be barely seen. And that is as far as I'll get this week.....

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:27 pm
Are those kerf cuts progressive in size or varying in distance from one another?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects