Dodge Charger Truck Build

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 pm
Okay, so I am, finally, getting ready to do another kit build. I am over here in projects rather than my normal Fiberglass land because I think this kit kind of bridges more of the production style car and the old fiberglass kits I am used to working with.

This will be one of the Smythe truck kits. Mark got his grit with kits as the co-founder of the Factory Five Racing builders. He had some different ideas about the direction he was going and was bought out by his brother years ago. These new "kit trucks" are his thing and he is ramped up now and popping out new styles like biscuits over there. Here is the link to what I am doing.... https://www.smythkitcars.com/charger-ute

I am starting with a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T with the Hemi motor package. Here is the car....
Attachments
Charger RT 1.jpg
Got a great deal on this 2008 Charger
Charger RT 2.jpg
Road and Track option, great seats
Charger RT 3.jpg
HEMI = FUN
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:45 pm
Soooo..... I'll be updating things as we start cutting our way through the car. I have a helper on this build so I am thinking we can have the build done in 6 to 8 weeks. The paint/body work will take another 2 weeks beyond that. I might even just get every thing massaged together and drive it in epoxy for a bit before doing the final paint work. I've done that in the past just to make sure everything is solid/rattle free....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:33 am
Pffft! It's not a truck, it's a ute. :happy:

Not bad looking either, from the rear and rear three quarter. Do they do a kit to fix the front?

Never mind, with just a few accessories it would be an instant winner at the B&S or the Deni Ute Muster.

b&s_special.jpg
b&s_special.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 17554 times

:rotfl: I'll be watching....
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:10 am
Yes, it is truly a Ute! I've been down this road before with the last car I cut in half...'
The following car was a 1990 Chevy Caprice.....
Attachments
IM000783.old.JPG
Full frame 1990 Chevy Caprice
IM000788.JPG
Single piece tilt nose, changeable headlight color tints
IM000785.old.JPG
Single piece rear clip with solid toneau cover

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:25 pm
Unsee! Unsee!

Do the Dodge. I take back everything I said about the front being ugly! :rotfl:
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:36 am
Yeah, that truck was different. Pictures can't do it justice. Over 68 awards and 5 best of shows over 2 years. Guy flew in from Tennessee and drove it home (over 400 miles.)

So onward and upward. My assistant and I got about 10 hours in doing disassembly. Our next meeting will begin the cutting process....
Attachments
IMG_20200509_133515480.jpg
IMG_20200509_133504768.jpg
IMG_20200509_093142588.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:08 am
Glad you are posting this project.
Look forward to following along.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:21 pm
Glad to see you are on board....things are moving a lot faster than what I anticipated. Wow, these cars are built like tanks.... here's some updated images. We have about 3 more hours of more exacting cuts to do....
Attachments
IMG_20200512_161431801_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200512_161412749_HDR.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:36 pm
What are you using to make the cuts?
Do you have templates or just detailed measurements for cut placement?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 pm
Well, what you have are a series of online "paper" style build manual and a collection of about 25 or so online videos. Mark Smyth, along with his brother, started the original Factory Five Racing Cobra kits back in the day. Mark wanted to get away from the Cobra grind and his brother bought out his interest. Mark had to sign a "no competition" type agreement which did not allow him to do any type of American Muscle car type projects so Mark "cut his teeth" on the VW import scene first chopping up the VW Jetta. Just my opinion, but I think he really learned a lot about cutting these cars along natural stamping and body lines so real measurements are not that critical. The main measurement in cutting this charger is measuring back 7 and 7/8" from the front door edge and then cutting that from side to side on the roof. We did a rough cut back at 12 inches to make sure we were getting a good cut, then moved up to that final cut. We used a chalk line to snap our mark, then checked that. I think the best way to do the cuts is to simply watch the video..... take a look..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZoCvIYhinM
As for "tools of destruction" we are using my Ryobi circular saw with a thin kerf carbide tipped metal cutting blade, a sawzall with misc. blades, an electric grinder, and an air die grinder set up with cut off wheels. Some of the stuff I use my aviator snips on.....
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects