Dodge Charger Truck Build

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:36 pm
Very nice work! Looks professional for sure.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 pm
Thanks! It was even kind of a surprise to us....it is very lightweight yet strong compared to lot of these I was looking at and pricing. I was looking at a used one to hack up and it weighed well over 250 pounds and was showing signs of delamination at just two years old. We are at about 70 pounds on this and it could be easily doubled or tripled in strength with maybe another 10 to 20 pounds max. Kind of thinking about doing a low wing that would mimic the shape of the cab near the back of the cover..... that would be a winter project.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:45 pm
So when you got that first new car or a car you really liked were you then chased by..... SHOPPING CARTS! I've taken my new build to Target and Home Depot, always parked it out in the middle of nowhere and still....runaway shopping carts had me in their sights. Luckily I caught them both times. So it is with a heavy heart that I had to add back side trim molding on the doors and rear quarter panels. I even added carbon fiber printed rubberized trim to the wheel wells. It stick outs about an inch for protection. The new side trim is an ABS plastic I got in just primer then sprayed with the low luster bedliner to match the lower rocker trim and bed cover. Even if it gets hit it is much easier to repair than the color on the truck.
Attachments
IMG_20200926_165756463_HDR.jpg
Trim kind of disappears in some light conditions
IMG_20200926_165813759_HDR.jpg
Very nice trim, shipped in flex. primer. ready for paint
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:19 pm
Shopping trolleys are even smarter than a good blue heeler - they'll get you when you least expect it.

A shame to spoil those nice clean lines but it still looks good.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:10 am
Yeah, I agonized over adding these back but I just thought I was doomed. I had talked to a few guys with Chargers on this subject. Several had removed their trim but each commented on the fact that they did get door/side damage no matter how far away they moved their cars from people..... :roll:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:05 am
Okay, so we are finishing up some mechanical upgrades to our new creation. Today, baby got new "shoes." They made a lot of these 2006 to 2010 Chargers as well as the Chrysler 300 which is it's kissin' cousin mechanically. So there are some pretty great brake packages out there. These are vented, drilled, and slotted high performance rotors with Kevlar blended pads. Dalton, Riley, and myself had the old stuff off and all this back on in about 2 and 1/2 hours. I went out and broke them in and man, this thing now stops as fast as it goes..... So we are calling our project pretty much done, I'll be adding some updates now and then. We'll still be hitting some shows with what's left of fall and will probably do a fall trip in the "new" truck. Ohh, and here is a pic. of our Gruesome Threesome. That is Dalton (my grandson) on my left, yours truly in the middle, and Riley (my grandson's best friend and my main shop guy) on the right.
Attachments
Dalton 1.jpg
The Gruesome Threesome complete with instruments of destruction....
IMG_20201002_144631167_HDR.jpg
front package
IMG_20201002_144616167.jpg
rear package

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:46 am
Ha, ha. Love the assault weapons!!!

You did a great job on that car in a very short amount of time! :goodjob:
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:31 pm
Thanks, that is appreciated coming from you.... and I don't believe I'm saying this... I am considering a winter/ spring project. Smyth just finished up his kit for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ute conversion. He has an intro. price on it of $2500. With all the new sporty Jeep, Bronco, whatever combos coming out in the 50+ K range it might be an opportunity to make some extra bucks over the winter......

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:21 pm
I'll be watching for the build thread.
Amazing how this stuff gets addicting isn't it?
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:21 pm
Yep, who knew....I used to spend years on kit projects but things have just changed that much. People like Smyth have full time design engineers that can mock all this stuff on screen and then design the kits from there. We can build in hours what used to take months. A trend that I hope continues to grow is the use of the 6061 aluminum for the bulk of the build. I mean we only had 6 pieces of fiberglass in this whole kit..... Back in the day we had a huge monotub to start with and added more fiberglass parts from there.....things are just soooooo fast now.....
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects