79 TA Painting Project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:24 pm
Yeah it's starting to cool down here as well. High 80s during the day and mid 40s at night.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:01 pm
Cooler temps have forced a change in focus from painting to sorting out door, fender and hood fitment. I have the doors and fenders pretty good and tried to get the hood installation sorted out but I have a bad hinge on the DS so I am going to replace them both.

I moved on to sanding and polishing the shell. I got a DA from Harbor Freight as it looked like some of the others carried by car finish supply companies It is probably the same unit just private labeled. I got some foam pads too.

I bought some 3D compound and polishing product s from a local jobber. Not the one I have been using for materials but one I happened upon as a source for another polish brand. They suggested the 3D and I read up on it and was convinced to try it. The products are the ACA 500 and 520.

I also bought a wool pad at their recommendation but I did not use it with my DA. Depending on the literature or description it specifies wool pad and rotary or pad and DA. I believe they came out with a new version 510 for foam so maybe that is the reason for the difference in description. I got good results but I had to work the tool harder and longer than I probably would have using a rotary.

Some Pictures:

LR Quarter

Trunk

Half of the Trunk with the 500

Finished pictures of trunk and LR Quarter

Now on to the rest of the shell
I do have to respray the trunk because of issues with the way I messed up in the metallic base. I polished the trunk to practice as I never polished a car before.
Not sure how the 3D compares to others other than price. I thought it to be a bit spendy at $50.00 for a quart. but it seemed pretty easy and I've spent a ton already so... whatever.
I thought it made a novice look like he knew what he was doing so there's that.

JT

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:33 pm
Like noted above; with the cold temperatures I switched gears and decided to sand and polish the clear on the TA. I did not when I painted the AMC a few years back, due to being gun shy using a rotary polisher. When I was a kid (15) I worked in a body shop one summer and ruined the rear quarter panel on a Buick GS in about 5 minutes after being to told to polish the paint. The foreman was pissed off at me but not nearly as pissed off as the owner was at the foreman. Loved that job, would work there all day and pump gas till 9:00 after that every other day at the shop right next door.

Anyway; as good as the results were, I was using a lot of material with the DA, and it was taking a lot of time with the tool maxed out.

After getting used to using the DA, I finally got the courage up and got a cheap variable speed rotary to use with the wool pad I bought when I purchased the polish, just in case. Wow did it make the difference in time, material and results.

Some more pictures

Thanks for looking
JT

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:00 pm
Yep, rotary buffer is the only way to go IMHO.
Twisted wool pad and Meguiars M-100 works wonders.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:15 pm
I just realized after posting in my other project thread and the one on TA country that I never posted pictures of getting the T-top trip painted and the seals installed.

JT

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:06 am
Here is an update on the status / progress made over the summer.

I had installed the doors and fenders the end of last year before the really cold weather set in, and then focused on the Camaro in my other thread here. Between racing and the weather there was very little progress other than getting everything down to the 600 wet and ready to paint.

I finally got out the spray gun and sprayed the nose of the car yesterday.

I actually used a new gun that is highly regarded by Darryl and I thought it was great.
I had thought to just replace the plastic cups my Titans came with to swap the metal cups that come with the Turbine Products gun. It is a bleeder gun which I never used before but thought it did a great job. I used it for the metallic base and will probably purchase another to use for clear.

Some pics.

Thanks for looking

JT

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 am
Man, those noses aren't curvy enough, right? Looks great from here. Glad the gun worked out for you....how much turbine are you driving it with?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:39 am
Please excuse the late post, I have not been checking forums out lately.
The turbine unit is a home made rig I put together last year. It is a 5 stage with a relief valve I bought from McMaster Carr to work with the non bleeder guns I have. I got the turbine from a place in TN. I wanted the 6 stage unit for the extra power but also for the hose type outlet it came with. I managed to make it work though and use two shop vac filters for the air and cooling flow protection.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:47 pm
It's been a while, but I finally got back to work on my '79 TA after a year or so of racing, marching band and whatnot.

I have lurked a bit and commented on stuff but, thought to pick up on the project where I left off.

After wearing myself out on the R-M Camaro project, I raced all Summer 2021 and then made it to the bracket finals, taking up more time during painting season, and then went right back to crewing for my daughter's marching band.
I changed jobs last May and started the vacation allotment over, meaning I could not take time off in Sept to do any painting other than the nose as noted above.

This spring I went to paint the front but realized the prep was not there so the good painting weather was spent finishing prep, then it was race every weekend, unless it rained.
I did not want or try to paint on rainy days in a non-climate-controlled garage when it's raining.

I took a week off this past September to get the doors, fenders and hood painted.
I scuffed the clear and shot another two coats of clear the following Wednesday on a "sick day"

I had a project thread on here and rebuilt it after the first crash, but then that was lost too.
I'll pick it up where it is at now, and if there are any questions related to the work or requests to post up some of the earlier stuff, I'd be happy to do so.

The first two days I took off it rained so I spent some extra time to clean and prep the garage.
Then I painted the driver's side.

[img width=800 height=379]https://i.imgur.com/OTIlHqs.jpg[/img]
Before some of the clean-up

Ready to go

I got it outside for the first time in two years

My next goal is to sand and polish the areas that will receive items like the wheel spats, mirrors and air extractors in the fenders,
Then I can get to reassembly and finish it up when the weather gets better, but I can at least get to reassembly over the winter months.

I have also lined up getting a windshield install in the next couple of weeks.

That's it for now.....I have more pictures on my phone but Imgur's not letting me upload them right now

Thanks for looking

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:22 pm
RamblerRacer wrote:Here is an update on the status / progress made over the summer.

I had installed the doors and fenders the end of last year before the really cold weather set in, and then focused on the Camaro in my other thread here. Between racing and the weather there was very little progress other than getting everything down to the 600 wet and ready to paint.

I finally got out the spray gun and sprayed the nose of the car yesterday.

I actually used a new gun that is highly regarded by Darryl and I thought it was great.
I had thought to just replace the plastic cups my Titans came with to swap the metal cups that come with the Turbine Products gun. It is a bleeder gun which I never used before but thought it did a great job. I used it for the metallic base and will probably purchase another to use for clear.

Some pics.

Thanks for looking

JT
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects