79 TA Painting Project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:25 pm
I saw a post about using turbine systems a while back and it got me to join the site.
I used a turbine sprayer on my AMC a while back and thought I had a bit to contribute
I have lurked around this site on and off for years, so here I go with some info on what I'm working on now.

Here we go.

I'll post a link to the TA site if its OK.
I'll wait until I here a no LOL

So here are a couple of pictures

Starting point and history.
I bought the car in 2013 and did several mechanical upgrades and other things like:
- subframe connectors
- subframe stiffening bars
- TKO 600 w .82 OD
- Speedhut gauges
- Corbeau seats
- Fitech EFI

Now its time for new paint.
A fresh coat of Switchblade silver

I started the painting project back around October and have the car in my Cousin's shop.
His Chevelle is in my garage and is awaiting a motor; the last one dropped a valve, so we switched so I could work on the TA in a heated garage throughout the winter.

These pictures span several months so....

Here we go:

A 7 year old picture when I bought it

Here is the gauge upgrade

The Fitech EFI

Now for some painting pictures

The nose:

The hood >>> look at all the paint ground off!
The car had so much paint on it, it was bloated like a tick

It looked like an everlasting gobstopper

Rear patch panels

"new" door from a donor care and '14 Challenger mirror upgrade on the TA

some paint on the underside of the trunk

Thanks for looking

JT

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:56 am
Looking forward to following your progress.

In the future, if you have multiple layers of paint to remove, try a heat gun and a razor blade. It's fairly quick and much easier than sanding through all those layers.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:54 pm
Some more progress pictures, obviously earlier than some of the last couple but are part of the story.

Here is the donor car I got the doors from, most the whole car was roached but the doors were absolute mint, and I picked off any fasteners that I could and lots of small parts too.
The RH fender was in good shape too so I used the lower part behind the wheel opening to graft into the TA fender that had rust to the point of pin holes. The repair started out rough but I thought about it and worked on my hammer and dolly skills and it turned out alright.

I'm switching to earlier TA spoiler ends and this area had a lot of issues but here it is all prepped.

Before:

After:

Here is a progress picture of the RR patch panel installation.
Before:

After:

Here is a picture from a few weeks back:

Next two big steps are to finish prep the nose and set that aside until its time to paint it, and prep around the T-tops. I'll probably give the nose it's final blast of primer and hopefully get the T-top area done this weekend.

Thanks for looking
JT

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:31 pm
More pictures

The past week I got after the T-top area and stripped off the seal and trim on the B-pillar. When I took off the DS trim piece, a far amount of metal that is supposed to be attached to the B-pillar came with it. A small patch, some Wurth Rust Guard Black and 2K and filler and more 2k and its good.

I'm getting pretty close to finish sanding and painting.
The car is pretty long so my thought is to do the shell and then hang the doors and fenders and doing the "front"

I'll test fit the hood and paint it off the car too as well as the trunk
I painted the underside of the hood and trunk a couple of weeks ago as shown in the last picture. I have been squirreling away all the small parts and will probably have a day coming up to just get them all shot in base and clear before the big part of the project is done. I'd rather have the big part done and be ready to start re-assembling, rather than have a bunch of bits and pieces to keep going on to finish

Some pictures:

Thanks for looking

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:12 pm
So, I'm getting closer and closer to painting this thing.

A couple of weeks ago I started wet sanding the shell and was not digging it.
There were lots of spots that needed to be addressed, so rather than wet sanding I spent the week glazing, spot priming and obsessing over it >>> now it is good >> or at least better.

Last Saturday I finished up with the process and gave the shell, doors and fenders a big blast of primer.

I took the fenders off and finish prepped them the last couple days this week.
Yesterday I painted the inside of them and did the mirrors.
I did the spoiler pieces a couple weeks ago

I may be able to score some time in a booth at a local shop.
The guy that manages the shop rents an apartment from my cousin.
I would definitely kick him something for his time and the opportunity to do it.
Heck, I'd spend some $$$ just prepping my garage to spray in, so....

The material is Matrix MPB series base coat and their Edge series MP-52 Clearcoat
Its a GM silver called Switchblade.
I get it at a local auto paint shop.

Pictures:

Thanks for looking

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:48 pm
Here are some pics of where the TA painting project is at. I got the car back into my garage and got the shell painted

I’m struggling as always to post pics from my iPad

Even cut and pasted a pic from the thread above and it still only shows the address

I came back and used my laptop to add pictures

I scuffed this side and shot some more silver to correct some issues >> then cleared again the whole bumper again

JT
Last edited by RamblerRacer on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:21 pm
Wow, it looks silver in some pictures and beige in others.

Project is turning out real nice though. It's going to be a sweet ride when done.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:59 am
I think the color has to do with the light in the garage. I have a bunch of reclaimed fluorescent and some wall mounted halogen lights.

The color is switchblade >>> a GM silver
Base and clear are Matrix

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:02 am
I switched to LED frosted daylight bulbs to remedy that problem.

You must be getting excited seeing that after paint you can start putting it back together again.
1968 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:28 pm
Welllll, I am excited for the progress, but I believe I’m am going to be at a stand still for a while. I’m located in NNJ and painting season is probably over for a while.

I have the doors hung and fenders on, and this weekend I “jammed” around the inner area of the fenders so I can reinstall the hood hinges. Then I am going to get the hood on and adjusted. Hopefully with I can get the rear of the hood to sit down, which has been an issue since I bought the car. I also have the trunk lid and filler panel on as well. All the little bits like spoilers spats and mirrors are done and

I will take the time to sand and polish the shell, and if I get far enough I start the t top seals bumper, tail lights and the spoilers over the winter.

JT
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects