79 TA Painting Project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.



Settled In
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:17 am
Location: Northeast N.J.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:25 pm
I saw a post about using turbine systems a while back and it got me to join the site.
I used a turbine sprayer on my AMC a while back and thought I had a bit to contribute
I have lurked around this site on and off for years, so here I go with some info on what I'm working on now.

Here we go.

I'll post a link to the TA site if its OK.
I'll wait until I here a no LOL

So here are a couple of pictures

Starting point and history.
I bought the car in 2013 and did several mechanical upgrades and other things like:
- subframe connectors
- subframe stiffening bars
- TKO 600 w .82 OD
- Speedhut gauges
- Corbeau seats
- Fitech EFI

Now its time for new paint.
A fresh coat of Switchblade silver

I started the painting project back around October and have the car in my Cousin's shop.
His Chevelle is in my garage and is awaiting a motor; the last one dropped a valve, so we switched so I could work on the TA in a heated garage throughout the winter.

These pictures span several months so....

Here we go:

A 7 year old picture when I bought it
Image


Here is the gauge upgrade

Image


The Fitech EFI

Image


Now for some painting pictures

The nose:
Image


The hood >>> look at all the paint ground off!
The car had so much paint on it, it was bloated like a tick

Image


It looked like an everlasting gobstopper

Image


Rear patch panels

Image


Image


"new" door from a donor care and '14 Challenger mirror upgrade on the TA

Image


some paint on the underside of the trunk

Image


Thanks for looking

JT

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 8056
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:56 am
Looking forward to following your progress.

In the future, if you have multiple layers of paint to remove, try a heat gun and a razor blade. It's fairly quick and much easier than sanding through all those layers.
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31



Settled In
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:17 am
Location: Northeast N.J.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:54 pm
Some more progress pictures, obviously earlier than some of the last couple but are part of the story.

Here is the donor car I got the doors from, most the whole car was roached but the doors were absolute mint, and I picked off any fasteners that I could and lots of small parts too.
The RH fender was in good shape too so I used the lower part behind the wheel opening to graft into the TA fender that had rust to the point of pin holes. The repair started out rough but I thought about it and worked on my hammer and dolly skills and it turned out alright.

Image


Image


Image


I'm switching to earlier TA spoiler ends and this area had a lot of issues but here it is all prepped.

Before:
Image

Image

Image


After:
Image


Here is a progress picture of the RR patch panel installation.
Before:
Image


After:
Image


Here is a picture from a few weeks back:
Image


Next two big steps are to finish prep the nose and set that aside until its time to paint it, and prep around the T-tops. I'll probably give the nose it's final blast of primer and hopefully get the T-top area done this weekend.

Image


Thanks for looking
JT



Settled In
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:17 am
Location: Northeast N.J.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:31 pm
More pictures

The past week I got after the T-top area and stripped off the seal and trim on the B-pillar. When I took off the DS trim piece, a far amount of metal that is supposed to be attached to the B-pillar came with it. A small patch, some Wurth Rust Guard Black and 2K and filler and more 2k and its good.

I'm getting pretty close to finish sanding and painting.
The car is pretty long so my thought is to do the shell and then hang the doors and fenders and doing the "front"

I'll test fit the hood and paint it off the car too as well as the trunk
I painted the underside of the hood and trunk a couple of weeks ago as shown in the last picture. I have been squirreling away all the small parts and will probably have a day coming up to just get them all shot in base and clear before the big part of the project is done. I'd rather have the big part done and be ready to start re-assembling, rather than have a bunch of bits and pieces to keep going on to finish

Some pictures:

Image


Image


Image


Image


Image


Image


Image


Thanks for looking

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests