New Pro Stock tribute project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:09 pm
This past week I worked on getting the roof prepped and also finished up the interior by painting the sides and floor with a gray base and matte clear. The objective is to block the shell once more with 320 and 400 and get it painted this Saturday.

Pictures

The roof was prepped and primed before it was installed by taking care of the rough spots, one coat of epoxy and several coated of 2K filler primer. I then gave it a quick sand and filled any pitting or blemishes with a light glaze putty and gave it three more coats. I blocked it again Saturday and hit it with three more good coats of 2K with the last one thinned so it flowed out nice. The whole shell now has a good base to sand for color.

Before I shoot the color I'm gonna strip off all the temporary masking with the newspaper and give it a good cleaning and then re-mask with some good materials. I did not feel like wasting the good masking material I had just for priming.

Thanks for looking
JT

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:13 pm
I got the shell painted with some help of a friend of the shop to get things a little cleaner before spraying. I worked my tail off this past week going round robin, and like one of the tips in a sticky suggested, always had something drying.

I got the base and clear on the shell with pretty good results except for a hose strike on of all things the roof. I flooded the spot leading to a run that I sanded out today while the clear was not too hard.

Some pictures:

Thanks for looking

JT

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:13 pm
Now that the shell is in the base color it is time to move on to the accent parts of the paint scheme. I worked all week prepping and masking off for the blue stripe. I did this first because it sets the location of the accents and the red base will be dependent on it on it..

Progress pics

[

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:18 pm
Painting

Unmasked....

And Cleared

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:09 am
When I sprayed the clear over the blue stripe it turned into a disaster. I ended up with huge runs to sand out. I used the Preval sprayers that I used to paint the cage as and spray the matte clear to spray the regular clear. I believe it was the consistency of the clear and the temp at the far side of the shop that did me in. The runs seemed to pretty much ruined the quality of the lower portion of the car that is red even after sanding them out.

Fast forward to 11:00 last night and I guess it really did not turn out so bad. I used the regular gun and buried the blue stripe a bit more in clear in addition to (x3) coats of clear over the red.

Thanks for looking

JT

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:53 pm
We had some other stuff going on in the shop so I could not do a lot of painting this past weekend. I got the stripe on the hood painted and have started scuffing the rest of the car for the red on the rear >> that is the goal to complete this coming weekend.

Thanks for looking
JT

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 pm
Very nice! :worthy: :worthy:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 pm
Thanks, we end up just staring at it .
Pretty pleased so far

JT

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:06 pm
I got the lower band of red taped off last week and painted it this past Saturday.

Was ready to clear the thing and found this. Best I can make out of it was there was a space heater right there and the area looked like it had flashed but was soft underneath the next coat of base

Got it back in line though

This blotch ended up inn the white area >>> that will require some touch up later

Carried on though

Thanks for looking
JT

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:50 pm
Here is an update.
Time is getting tight >>> opening day is 4/17 and we have a ton of work to do
Only the hood is left to clear, but I will have a couple days I will not be able to get to it and there is also the work to get the engine back together.
It may well end up being like one of those shows where the paint is drying on the way to the show 

Pictures

​​​​​​​
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects