1966 Barracuda - My First Paint Job

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:15 pm
Hey All, My first post here to say "HI" and to thank you for a great forum! I'm a former ASE Master Mechanic and have been working on my 1966 Barracuda for a number of years now. I've done all the work myself, most of it outside in the weather, and later in side my garage.

The car has gone through a rolling restoration over the past 25 years, driving it in grey primer for the past 10. I took it off the road three years ago to repair some of the rust spots I couldn't get to without disassembling the car, and to complete the body work. Correctly.

I did a lot of research a few years ago, this forum being one site that stuck out, and got to work. I won't bore you with the details that got to this point, but I've taken much of the car down to bare metal and sprayed with Eastwood epoxy primer, doing sections at a time. I still have the front fenders, the hood, the roof and a few front grill parts to go before I start spraying the high build primer to block sand. I'm working any dings out now with filler and coating with epoxy when done.

I still have a lot to do before I get to the HB primer, but with all the great posts I've read here, (YES, I read all the stickies :wink: ), I'm less worried about my first paint job.

If you want to see the progression through the years, here's a link to check out. http://www.earlycuda.org/members/prez.htm

Roger
Attachments
Barracuda66.jpg
Before the tear down

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:33 am
Hey, that scoop doesn't belong on that car! did you put it on? Or did it come in fiberglass?
Good luck with finishing your project!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:21 am
Hey, that scoop doesn't belong on that car! did you put it on? Or did it come in fiberglass?
Good luck with finishing your project!

That’s a hood skin from a 73 Barracuda I grafted on the original hood. Thanks!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:11 am
Nice bones on that car to start with.
I like the hood
Good luck with the project.

JTb

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:36 pm
Here's the progress as of today. The drivers door was re-installed and adjusted, I had already primed it and done some filler work while it was horizontal, and the left fender installed for a test fit. the drip rails got the seam sealer removed and the roof got its paint removed. both the drivers door and the roof got epoxy primed.

Next is the fenders, they need to be stripped and epoxied, then the hood.
Attachments
IMG_7651.jpg
IMG_7652.jpg
IMG_7649.jpg
IMG_7650.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 pm
Looking good.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects