'95 Civic EX 2Dr - rust repair repaint project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:15 pm
My son finally got around to putting interior back in car and finalizing all the mechanicals.
He sprayed inner 1/4s with Cavity Wax before putting the interior back in. New carpet and a leather steering wheel imported from Japan were added. Rest of interior is original. Still needs wiper arms painted installed and one or two other loose ends. Car is done for the most part so this concludes this project. Thanks all for watching hope you enjoyed the build.

Done 1.jpg

Done 2.jpg

Done 3.jpg

Done 4.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:00 am
Great job.
He must really like this car to put that much time and money into it.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:44 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Great job.
He must really like this car to put that much time and money into it.

Yes he is partial to that year and body style Civic. But he is juggling his attention between this Civic, has a 2003 Evo, a 2005 SRT4, and an '88 Mustang, So this is one of many he is context switching to/from doesn't want to sell any of them etc etc.....but....Civic is ready to go for spring/summer car shows/crusing for 2024....

Non-Lurker

Portugal
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:53 pm
Wow, first of all excuse my poor english, i have trouble expressing myself correcly, but one thing is clear i'm very very impressed and i congratulate you for your project.
I'm new to the forum and i decided to watch some projects from other members. Yours was the first one i clicked and man i got to say i've seen every single pictures from all the 15 pages from this thread. Great job.
I also have a Civic , an EJ to be exact, i know Japanese cars tend to rust and i wonder how rusty mine is since i haven't done a proper visual inspection.

I have a few questions if you can answer. I'm a DIY Car Enthusiastic and i humbly ask a few things.

- You mentioned you had to use fiber glass filler in order to seal the welding seams i know that sometimes you get these pinholes that if you shine a light through you can notice them, wouldnt it be better to cover those pins?

- I noticed you grinded all the parts you welded to the bare metal, you applied primer and then paint, did you use any kind of special primer to protect from rusting again? how about zinc coating have you considered it?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:50 am
Trashpanda wrote:Wow, first of all excuse my poor english, i have trouble expressing myself correcly, but one thing is clear i'm very very impressed and i congratulate you for your project.
I'm new to the forum and i decided to watch some projects from other members. Yours was the first one i clicked and man i got to say i've seen every single pictures from all the 15 pages from this thread. Great job.
I also have a Civic , an EJ to be exact, i know Japanese cars tend to rust and i wonder how rusty mine is since i haven't done a proper visual inspection.

I have a few questions if you can answer. I'm a DIY Car Enthusiastic and i humbly ask a few things.

- You mentioned you had to use fiber glass filler in order to seal the welding seams i know that sometimes you get these pinholes that if you shine a light through you can notice them, wouldnt it be better to cover those pins?

- I noticed you grinded all the parts you welded to the bare metal, you applied primer and then paint, did you use any kind of special primer to protect from rusting again? how about zinc coating have you considered it?

1) Fiberglass filler over welds - the issue with chasing every single pin hole in your weld, at least at my skill level, is you weld grind weld grind weld grind repeatedly. As you grind you risk thinning the surrounding panels then you risk blowing holes and can eventually ruin the whole area and require a larger patch to start over. So I get the weld "good enough" apply fiber glass over weld and once everything is done Cavity Wax on the inside. If others are so awesome they get zero pin holes great but that is not me.

2) Epoxy primer is what I spray inside and out to protect the metal. After patch is installed I spray weld through primer on the inner structure if paint gun won't fit or reach. Then Cavity Wax.

I don't do body work as day job career so I am learning improving as I go. I am definitely not a pro who is the best at everything so take that in consideration on my answers.
Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects