Newb trying to decide

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:30 pm
I just purchased an 01' Miata MX5. Decent condition but 1 of the previous owners did a respray on the passenger side of the car. It looks pretty good but the hood, trunk lid, and nose piece are either peeling (flat surfaces), or have small damage. I feathered the hood and trunk, and there is a repair done (by someone) on the rear drivers side quarter and it is left with bare metal, and bondo. Im a noob at his and thought i'll just spot fix it. But now I'm thinking I'll just scuff the good paint and respray and clear. And "prime, seal" the hood, trunk lid, and top of the drivers door (where sweaty arms have destroyed the paint while cruisin'. Here's the dilemma; should I just prime the whole car and respray new surfacer or primer; then a couple coats of base and gloss? I've been watching videos on YouTube for weeks and am now toughly confused! What do you think? Pics to come. Too old and low tech. Oh yeah The car is BRG (Mazda calls it Emerald and Grace)
-Ken

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:02 pm
Pictures will help.
If you haven't sprayed before then the tools, compressor, regulators, filtration and set up are going to cost you considerably. Then there's the paint costs.

Here's 1990 Miata I restored for someone.
Front Right View Finished.JPG

The complete thread is in the Member's Projects section if you're interested.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:59 pm
Thanks so much for the reply. Actually I have most of the gear needed. I partially restored a 70 Mini panel wagon a few years ago and started picking up the gear I needed. DeVillbiss spray guns, assorted abrasives, primers, puttys, etc. My compressor is a 80 gallon 7.4 hp. Right as I neared getting to the spray phase of my project; financial disaster struck. We survived, but I has to sell the Mini and a 65 Dodge Dart I was also experimenting with. Oh well; better late than never. I'll figure out this photo storage so I can post a few pics. One of the recent vids I watched was about how you could reasonably paint right over other base coats after scuffing and then clearing on the good panels, and apply base on the panels that were less than good shape. First I've heard of that.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:42 am
The information you need to do this right and be very happy with the finished product is all here. Read the articles in the Info Center, also there are Sticky Posts at the top of each individual forum with "How To" instruction.

Posting pictures:
Scroll down to the black box below and select Upload Attachments.
Click Choose File and then select it from your device.
Once you see it there, Click Add the File button. It may take a few seconds to load depending on size of the file.

Once it is loaded your cursor will default back to this text box. Below the text box will be your attachment with an option to Place Inline. Put your cursor where you want the picture to appear and then click to have it inserted.

Seats Finished.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:17 pm
IMG_0401.JPG
The attachment IMG_0401.JPG is no longer available

Hope it works :) Thanks

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:32 pm
Passenger side is in pretty decent shape. Driver side has a rash on the drivers door top.
Attachments
IMG_0399.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm
IMG_0396.JPG
Hood will recieve gold racing stripes

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:38 pm
Sand everything and then shoot two coats of epoxy primer.
Front Left.jpg

You can apply filler directly to the epoxy primer and block sand it feathering into surrounding epoxy.

Then you can shoot your 2k build primer, 2-3 coats waiting the proper flash times. When cured, apply guide coat and block sand to remove the guide coat.

Here you can see some of the black epoxy primer showing but no metal or low spots.
Blocked Left Front.jpg

Shoot another round of 2k, guide coat and block sand to remove the guide coat and here you are:
2nd 2k Primer Door Left.jpg

I apply more guide coat and then wet sand with 600 and it's ready for sealer (optional) or paint.

I normally shoot a minimum of 3 coats of base. This helps ensure I have no color match issues.
Left Front Blue Base.JPG

Follow with at least 3 coats of clear:
Right Front Cleared.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:45 pm
AWESOME ! Thanks so much!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:47 pm
Newb question: What would you think about going with a dark gray primer with candy green as my base? CRAZY? :knockout:
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects