2000 Dodge Dakota Sport

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:16 am
So, I've been asked about this several times.... if you have an existing sprayed on bedliner and you want to do what you did here which I would call a "refresh" what's the best way to prep???
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:25 pm
I used a sharp scraper blade to remove any loose and flaky bedliner. After that I went over the worst areas with a DA and 80 grit to even out the texture as best as possible. Any exposed metal was covered in black epoxy primer and allowed to cure.

The Raptor product covers very well. The gun they supply requires 40-60 PSI for spraying. The lower the PSI the heavier the texture and the higher the PSI the lighter the texture. This helps in getting an even finished texture by applying what is needed in a particular area.

Of course keeping the gun at a consistent distance from the panel is necessary.

As with any paint job the prep is the key and the better the old liner looks the easier it is to match it.

This truck had a very tough rubbery texture and it was extremely thick in some spots but almost non existent in others. It looks much better but it's not perfect by any means.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:02 pm
Good..... that makes me feel better. That is the prep. I've been doing as well. Hey, I also picked up the Vari-Nozzle gun for my Grandson's Jeep build. It supposedly gives you even more control for that coarse to fine thing. By some estimates from guys that know what they are talking about they thought it saved them about 10% or more in using less material. It has a very concentrated pattern that is supposed to "sling" the stuff less.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:14 pm
Got the bed and tailgate installed today. Big job for a 1 man shop.

Bed Rightside.JPG

Tailgate.JPG

Bed Leftside.JPG

It needs a bath and I am putting together a punch list for completion.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:35 pm
Pulled it outside to give it a good look over.

Leftside.JPG

Leftside rear view.JPG

It has a power steering fluid leak that I need to address, also the rear O2 sensors are coding. My guess is that it is a wiring issue and probably a connector.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:53 am
Great job! :goodjob: So looking back at the timeline on this....you flipped this around pretty quick. From the time you shot epoxy to now, like a month for bodywork, paint, etc. Working by yourself, that's darn good..

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:24 am
Thanks.
Punch list is 1 page so should get this wrapped up pretty shortly.

Then I can get back to working on MY car. :happy: :happy:
1968 Coronet R/T

Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects