Ram TRX kit project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:06 pm
Hi all. New here and will be using this resourceful forum to help me out with tips on a project that I'm slowly working on. It's a2014 Ram RC SWB 4x4 Sport with a TRX wide body kit. It needs some minor body work that will involve metal, plastic & fiberglass. Once I have the body work done, I'm planning to paint it back Black with Bronze racing stripes. Looking forward to researching the threads & asking advice if needed.
Attachments
Ram 10-3-21.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:31 pm
If you have that many dissimilar materials you should consider getting everything in one uniform high build product. In my opinon this is the stuff I would use.....
https://tamcopaint.com/products/high-build-epoxy-primer
We were shooting a chameleon bi flop over my kit truck and you can see I had steel, paint, fiberglass, and oem plastics to go over as well....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27971
We will also be using that epoxy on our current Jeep build....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28871
That epoxy is unlike any regular primer, high build primer, etc., that I have ever used. Sprays down nice, hardens up, and is self-guide coating in the black we used. Best part is it can set for weeks on end without sanding it and still powder up sand level at anytime. With a kit this will allow you to get your truck through the epoxy stage, drive it to check for panel/body movement, THEN, do your final paint job......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:12 pm
Fiberglass repair1.jpg
Fiberglass repair2.jpg
DarrelK wrote:If you have that many dissimilar materials you should consider getting everything in one uniform high build product. In my opinon this is the stuff I would use.....
https://tamcopaint.com/products/high-build-epoxy-primer
We were shooting a chameleon bi flop over my kit truck and you can see I had steel, paint, fiberglass, and oem plastics to go over as well....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27971
We will also be using that epoxy on our current Jeep build....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28871
That epoxy is unlike any regular primer, high build primer, etc., that I have ever used. Sprays down nice, hardens up, and is self-guide coating in the black we used. Best part is it can set for weeks on end without sanding it and still powder up sand level at anytime. With a kit this will allow you to get your truck through the epoxy stage, drive it to check for panel/body movement, THEN, do your final paint job......

Thanks!! That looks like the perfect product to use after minor body work. Do you know if that would serve as a fix for the smaller spider cracks that were caused from rocks coming off the tires? I'm going to install some custom-made wheel liners to further prevent this from occurring. The larger crack was caused during shipment. Also, what would you recommend for filler on each type of materials (steel, plastic & fiberglass). I've seen different recommendations while watching YouTube videos.
Attachments
Fiberglass repair3.jpg
Fiberglass repair4.jpg
Fiberglass repair5.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:47 pm
So your first two pic.s are what are called "fender stars" in kit car lingo. Early Cobra cars had these things until guys started using both fender liners or just doing like 3 coats of bedliner under there. The problem is the rock breaks all the layers moving them. You have to grind them from underneath and also V open the cracks with a Dremel tool to really fix and get them stable. As for a filler I'd make one up using some phenolic or ceramic microspheres (also called microballons) combined with this epoxy....
https://promarinesupplies.com/521-marin ... oxy-resin/ On the inside you would cut up some epoxy compatible matt combined with that resin. And, no there is no paint that is going to stop that from reappearing unless it is repaired properly first.
As far as your other fillers or repair materials go splits, cracks, anything structural should be done with the above marine epoxy. If you have surface filling to do a bondo style filler like Rage Exteme can be used on all of those surfaces. Just watch out for any plastic that is very "flexy" as something like USC's Body Icing might be better.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:46 pm
Been a while but I'm getting ready to paint her this month. My engine was going out so I had to side track the exterior until I got her back on the road. I've ordered the materials and hopefully they will be here in time before my personal time off begins (11-18 thru 11-27). I'm going with a Black Diamond Firemist Acrylic Urethane Auto Paint (Complete Gallon Paint Kit) Professional Single Stage Automotive Car Coating, 4:1 Mix Ratio 2.8 VOC for the main body color. For the racing stripes I'm using Autumn Gold Metallic Acrylic Urethane Auto Paint - Complete Quart Paint Kit - Professional Single Stage Automotive Car Coating, 4:1 Mix Ratio 2.8 VOC. It closely matches the accent color on my wheels.

I appreciate the previous advises and will more than likely be asking for some more input as I proceed. First thing I'll be working on is converting my garage into a makeshift paint booth over the next few weekends. Then if the materials make it in time, I'll start breaking her down and start the prep work. Can't wait!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:25 am
Can a Clearcoat Auto Paint Urethane Clear Coating be sprayed over a Acrylic Urethane Auto Paint single stage? I wanted to know in the event that I was not satisfied with the gloss of the single coat.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:33 am
Mopar78 wrote: I'm going with a Black Diamond Firemist Acrylic Urethane Auto Paint (Complete Gallon Paint Kit) Professional Single Stage Automotive Car Coating, 4:1 Mix Ratio 2.8 VOC for the main body color.

TCP global restoration shop ?
if so, it would be wise to get more than a gallon for that truck.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:39 pm
tomsteve wrote:
Mopar78 wrote: I'm going with a Black Diamond Firemist Acrylic Urethane Auto Paint (Complete Gallon Paint Kit) Professional Single Stage Automotive Car Coating, 4:1 Mix Ratio 2.8 VOC for the main body color.

TCP global restoration shop ?
if so, it would be wise to get more than a gallon for that truck.

Yes, TCP Global.

That is a concern of mine; I would rather have left over paint than not enough. Thanks for your input; I'll order another gallon kit. Will the quart accent kit should be enough for the stripes in your opinion? And do you have any input about the original question; I might want to order it as well. The samples look glossy enough for me but I would like an option if it's not.
Thanks again!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:12 pm
So, that color is a metallic? If so you'd have to be careful about "cutting" into it for adding more clear. You might get away with it with a abrasive pad or scuffing paste, etc. I've shot TCP Global's stuff several times over the years.... no real problems. Most guys in paint circles say it's just repackaged PPG Shopline. A quart for stripes seems a little light in quantity.....

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:41 pm
Mopar78 wrote:
tomsteve wrote:
Mopar78 wrote:

That is a concern of mine; I would rather have left over paint than not enough. Thanks for your input; I'll order another gallon kit. Will the quart accent kit should be enough for the stripes in your opinion? And do you have any input about the original question; I might want to order it as well. The samples look glossy enough for me but I would like an option if it's not.
Thanks again!!

unfortunately no input on the other question- other than id go with 2 quarts for the stripes.
if there is any left over, ya might find interior parts ya wanna paint with it.
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects