Ram TRX kit project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:14 am
DarrelK wrote:So, that color is a metallic? If so you'd have to be careful about "cutting" into it for adding more clear. You might get away with it with a abrasive pad or scuffing paste, etc. I've shot TCP Global's stuff several times over the years.... no real problems. Most guys in paint circles say it's just repackaged PPG Shopline. A quart for stripes seems a little light in quantity.....

That's good information to know. I think I'll stay away from the clear coat. It's just a work truck that will see 35,000 commute miles yearly so I don't really need a show room shine.

Thanks!!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:22 am
tomsteve wrote:
Mopar78 wrote:
tomsteve wrote:
Mopar78 wrote:

That is a concern of mine; I would rather have left over paint than not enough. Thanks for your input; I'll order another gallon kit. Will the quart accent kit should be enough for the stripes in your opinion? And do you have any input about the original question; I might want to order it as well. The samples look glossy enough for me but I would like an option if it's not.
Thanks again!!

unfortunately no input on the other question- other than id go with 2 quarts for the stripes.
if there is any left over, ya might find interior parts ya wanna paint with it.

Good advice! Like I said before, I'd rather have left over’s than not enough! Besides, you just gave me a good idea. There are some under hood parts I've seen others do that look good.

Thanks for the input!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:12 pm
One more week to go and I'll finally get to start! My garage was a mess when the engine went down so I had to build it, swap it the transmission and transfer case the way it was. Not this time on the paint & body work. I'm going to line the whole garage with plastic like a scene from Dexter! I've put a big dent in it today and will be finishing up soon. Under the plywood is a pit that I'm going to put the fan that's setting on the plywood. I'll pipe it to outside so that it will cause a draft to exhaust the room (negative pressure). The supply air will come from the 2 HVAC diffusers with filters on them to help control the temperature in there.
Attachments
Garage4.jpg
Garage3.jpg
Garage2.jpg
Garage1.jpg
Engine Swap 9-15-22 1.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:12 pm
Well, this took longer than I thought it would. I finally got the garage cleared out, sealed and painted white to help with the lighting. The area is 18' x28 ' and should work fine. Looks like this job will go into a few weekends to do it right. I piled everything that was in the garage into the cave and will be building a shed later to store it in. I plan on parking the ram in the garage to keep the critters off it. I'm using the sound room for the mixing room that's next to the garage.
Attachments
PB1.jpg
PB3.jpg
PB4.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:06 am
Just a couple of things about your spray area..... Those drop in ceiling panels are usually made of compressed paper fibers. They are notorious for "shedding"especially when you start moving air. They can be replaced with the same sized ceiling tiles which are a poly foam/ fiberglass and do not shed. Another thing you really need in there is more lighting. Led frosted shop lights are cheap and can usually be daisy chained together with very little load on your electric panel. Trust me in a hobby situation like this you cannot get enough light in the room.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:53 am
:goodpost: :goodpost:

You are off to a good start.

Darrel is right, you will definitely need more lighting not just above but along the sides as well.

I started out in a similar situation except my floor is concrete. In the beginning I had the exterior wall and ceiling drywalled but the interior wall was plastic sheeting. The only lights were overhead.
Booth 3.JPG

Later on I framed and sheet rocked the interior wall. Added some lights along each wall.
Cab Clear Coat.JPG

I changed all the lights to Frosted LED and that helped brighten things up. However, I still find that more lighting is needed. I would like more overhead and in the corners.

A small mixing bench is very helpful and I also have a couple of tables with locking wheels that I can put parts on for painting.

Another helpful addition is hooks in the ceiling where you can use chains to hang parts that need painting on both sides.
K-Frame in Epoxy.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:26 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote::goodpost: :goodpost:

You are off to a good start.

Darrel is right, you will definitely need more lighting not just above but along the sides as well.

I started out in a similar situation except my floor is concrete. In the beginning I had the exterior wall and ceiling drywalled but the interior wall was plastic sheeting. The only lights were overhead.
Booth 3.JPG

Later on I framed and sheet rocked the interior wall. Added some lights along each wall.
Cab Clear Coat.JPG

I changed all the lights to Frosted LED and that helped brighten things up. However, I still find that more lighting is needed. I would like more overhead and in the corners.

A small mixing bench is very helpful and I also have a couple of tables with locking wheels that I can put parts on for painting.

Another helpful addition is hooks in the ceiling where you can use chains to hang parts that need painting on both sides.
K-Frame in Epoxy.JPG

Nice!! I'm planning on picking up a high power LED light stand to help out for now. I also have a 2' powerful LED hand light for quick walk arounds.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:43 pm
I got the exhaust fan hooked up and it’s not the best, but it draws air out and should help some. Hard pipe would be better and flow more CFM's. I tried the filter fit and they will work, just need to seal them better when the time comes. I'm going to do the bed cover first to do my trial (and hopefully no error) run at it. It came ready to paint so it need very little work.
Attachments
PF2.jpg
PF3.jpg
PF4.jpg
PF5.jpg
PF6.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:44 pm
The bed cover.
Attachments
Pit Fan 1.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:16 am
I cleaned the cover and wet sanded twice with 800. I was going to lay down the finish without priming. While I was wiping it down, I noticed some waves in the reflection so I wiped it down with wax cleaner/remover and primed it. I'm going to guide coat and block sand it to give it a smoother look. I used the 1.7 tip although I think I'll try some added reducer and maybe the 2.0 tip next time around. Maybe even bump the pressure up from 26 psi. It did not spay as well as I expected. The exhaust fan set up worked great and kept the odor from migrating throughout the rest of the house.
Attachments
Primed Bed cover1.jpg
Primed Bed cover2.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects