2005 883 Sportster in Green Kandy

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:01 pm
Not much of a project compared to a lot on this board. More of a simple repaint.

This is only my 3rd time spraying automotive paint.

This project started off with me making a few more stands to put the parts on while I paint them. These stands are all on 12" lazy suzans. This will allow me to spin the parts in my smaller paint booth instead of having to walk around them.

I picked up one of the inflatable paint booths for doing my painting in. I have some PVC coming in today to make a skeleton so that when the blower pump isn't running, it won't collapse completely. This will let the parts stay in the booth to cure without me having to run the pump the entire time after spraying.

I've already started sanding some of the parts. The tank is an aftermarket and I still need to do some more clean up around some of the edges. The rest of the parts are just getting sanded enough for a primer coat to even up the color on the parts before moving on to base coats.

The final color is going to be HOK Organic Green Kandy over their Galaxy Grey base. I originally painted the rear fender this color and really liked the way it looked...

Then I screwed up while cutting and buffing. My small buffer slipped off the edge of the part and the metal buffer chipped the edge of the fender. Doh! Instead of trying to patch it I'm going to repaint it as I repaint the rest of the parts. There were a few very small defects in the paint that I can correct while I do this the second time too.

I'm also going to try to do a small bar and shield logo on the sides of the tank.

The tank is a Pughco 4.5 gallon tank and the front fender is an aftermarket fiberglass one from J&P Cycles.

Few pictures to get things started:
Parts on Stands:
0313221738.jpg

Paint Booth:
0312221625.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:02 pm
heh... rotated pictures crack me up :/

I'll try to fix those later.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:33 pm
Made some progress on the bike this weekend. I got the primer sprayed on all the parts yesterday. Then this evening I sanded. Out of the 4 parts, 1 is ready for base. The other 3 had some imperfections that will take a bit more work to get out. Probably from me not prepping the parts well enough the first time around.

0326221552.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am
Prepping for paint is the critical part. Generally if you have a clean painting environment, wear a painter's suit, etc. the painting is the fun part.

Guide coat is your friend when sanding 2k primer. It will reveal the smallest of imperfections.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:25 pm
It's been a while since I've updated. A lot has gone on the last few months, but I finally got to work on this project some more.

Last weekend I got the base paint sprayed and Wednesday night I sprayed the logo. My wife used her cricut to cut the logo for me.

This morning I sprayed the candy green and clear onto it.

I ended up with quite a bit of orange peel and will have to do some sanding to get it out. I need to spend some time practicing spraying candy and clear.

PXL_20220604_154659308.jpg

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects