New Build... 2015 Dodge Charger R/T Widebody Pickup

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:20 am
So there is a bunch of places to buy them. Some are specialty dealers that specialize in turned in fleets. Elite Motors up in Chicago is one. My local used car dealer just north of me had a hookup to a department that was replacing 5 cars and just bought them all and did the civilian conversion needed. Here in Ohio it is required that the dealer bring the car back to normal spec.s They have to put rear door window motors back in, activate the rear door locking, usually pull ou the trunk gun rack, and some other minor stuff. Best place just to get around looking at them on the net is to do a http://www.carfax.com web site search for 2005 through 2020 Dodge Charger, model Police Pursuit, then decide if you want to look at 3.6 or 5.7 motors and if you want rear wheel drive or all wheel drive. You will usually get at least a hundred hits nationally if you do that.....
These cars are really something special. Heavy duty everthing, certified speedometer, 155 mph top speed, 220 amp alternator,huge brakes, and on and on....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:10 pm
So our crate kit is in. We just unloaded it from my trailer and sorted it all. So tomorrow begins the removal of stuff and the major cutting of the car. I am hoping we get that far with it as I can do the final minor trimming some night this week.
Attachments
Peanut Butter Box.jpg
Crate goes about 500 pounds or so. Easier to just unload it on my trailer....
The Kit.jpg
Yes, almost everything is in the crate...only the tail gate, rear window, and fender flares will be direct shipped.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:11 pm
Wow, 500 pounds of work unloaded!

You and the boys ought to be able to do this one in your sleep. LOL
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:51 pm
Ha, ha.... yeah, fingers crossed.... I would like to be at least in primer for our Founder's Day Parade which is on May 18th so that's about 12 weeks. I just want the basic build done by then so we can drive it. I'll address bed cover, etc., after that.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:46 am
We are making really good progress on our build. I'll be posting some pic.s up in the next few days.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:19 pm
So we are about 24 to 26 or so man hours into our build. This is a little more time than I thought we would have at this point however the wiring is more complicated in these Pursuit cars especially with optional auxilllary wiring package which is in the back of mine. We had to plug/unplug stuff as we went along to eliminate the giant fuse box in the back. It was controlling nothing back there so we bagged the harness and tagged everything else. We have our wiring waterproofed and have our heavy cut work done. The 3 of us will meet this Saturday for a day of fine cutting and probably at least installing the bed. My tail gate and rear window have not arrived yet.
Attachments
Mystery fender box.jpg
So after dropping the rear bumper cover we have these on each side... They are the senosrs for the blind spot detection. They "see" through the bumper covers and should see through my fiberglass. I may have to thin down my fiberglass inside when I remount them....
Rear Wiring Box.jpg
The optional rear wiring harness is connected to this multi plug beast of a fuse box....
Rear Wiring 2.jpg
That is the optional rear wiring distribution harness there in the middle....
Build 1.jpg
Now we have that giant fuse center removed....
Build 4.jpg
Bagged harness and tagge wiring....
Build 5.jpg
Riley making interior cuts to remove top
Build 6.jpg
So we are organized and major cut is done.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:16 pm
Do these kits come with step by step instructions?
I wouldn't even know where to begin on a project like this.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:31 pm
So there is now a series of 29 videos on Youtube for the Smyth Charger Ute conversion. A lot of this is just kind of intuitive to me as well. This is my 4th truck conversion from a car base for me and something like my 20th kit build or rebuild. Once you've built even one of these trucks I'd say about 80 or 90 percent of the build principles remain the same. Maybe a little different hardware, cut lines are a little different however they follow natural stamping lines in the metal. This wide body truck conversion keeps about 96% of the methodology of my last truck build. The biggest thing that slowed us down is the incorporation of all these extra systems and sensors. When you first see it all it is overwhelming. You just have to start unplugging stuff and occasionally turn the car on to see if you've created problems. So far we've had few, if any real problems. I now have Alfa Obd on my phone which can handle pretty deep programming of systems on these cars. If we run into problems we can test back and forth and even eliminate a system function.
I love it when we get past cutting though. Building is fun, screws, rivets, and bolts, oh my!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:05 pm
Movin' and Groovin'..... Today all 3 of us met up for a pretty full car day. This was the final round of cuts, attaching the front side aluminum winglets, building the bed in our shop and getting it in place. Getting it in place involves a big yellow hammer, a block of wood, and 3 guys grunting like their arms are going to fly off. Mission accomplished! We are square and in the right place with the bed. This thing fits so tightly, even with only a few fasteners in at this point, it drives great.... So next time we should be finishing up all the aluminum, the tail gate mount, and hopefully mounting the class III trailer hitch I have coming in..... stay tuned, this build is going very fast for us. I guess there really is no substitute for experience.... Check out the pic.s.
Attachments
Bed Build 2.jpg
Here we are checking the individual alignment of the sides to make sure we are completely cut....
Bed Build 3.jpg
By building the entire bed in our shop we are sure that the bed is square up before mounting....
Bed Build 5.jpg
One of the finer art tools of adjustment... 10 pound sledge and a block of wood. Pound up/down/forward until factory body bolts line up...
Bed Build 6.jpg
Grandson is finishing up tightening firewall bolts.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:26 am
So I think I've figured out a color for this truck..... I have a 5 gram test package of this coming in next week.... https://didspade.com/collections/supers ... 2%AE-pearl This is about one of the most unsual chameleons that I have ever seen. During brightest light it should stay in the area of a red candy then shift towards gold/tangerine in brightest light and light purple going into a dark cherry, then black under low light. The red appears to be the most dominant effect which is what I wanted..... we'll see how it sprays out on some black speed shapes.
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects