New Build... 2015 Dodge Charger R/T Widebody Pickup

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:09 pm
So today was let's "install a class III trailer hitch" day. We also reinstalled the rear speakers in protective baskets and they sound great. The bed is now completely fastened in place and the inner fender wheel wells are permanently in..... We just laid the rear flat plates in as a mockup. Take a look, things are coming together. I am hoping to get some more work done in a few evenings as we all can't do next weekend, too much family stuff to work around.......
Attachments
Week 2 speakers.jpg
Factory speakers remounted into watertight foam baskets. We have used these on each build.....
Week 2 hitch.jpg
35 pounds, oofff... luckily once the mufflers were moved down we jacked it up into position. Wiring harness is plug and play....
Week 2 hitch installed.jpg
Class III hitch bolted into OEM holes no welding, nice.....
Week 2 bed done.jpg
Everything fastened down including the large fender boxes.
Week 2 bed mock up.jpg
The two flat bed panels are just mocked up here. We will be hinging that rear one.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:50 am
Y'all are moving right along on this one. :goodjob:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:40 am
Ha, ha.... Just an example of.... "If you do stuff over and over you'll probably get pretty good at it." :happy:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:23 pm
So we knew that this coming weekend was a no go as we had family obligations. My Grandson didn't even get to join us for that as he was exposed to Covid and did not want to infect my sister-in-law who is recovering from cancer treatments.... What we did do this week was to use a part of an evening for all of us and Riley and I worked hard in the shop to free up Friday as a car day. We now have the roof sections fitted and bonded into place and did fit the quarter panels and roll pan, although we have not attached them yet. Tailights are fitted, although we are waiting on final wiring instructions on those. The rear glass is now in although we will be adding some more sealent from the inside once it has cured for a bit. The glass was a little cantakerous for fitment but I don't think it was any worse than the previous built. Our next full day will be next Saturday. I actually think we will be through with the build next Saturday however then the body work and detailing begins. I would think that would take us 4 to 6 of the next weekends..... Oh, and we are at 88 total man hours so far. Very happy with the build time on this....
Attachments
Week 3 a.jpg
So this was a surprise....these tail lights just dropped in and the fitment was great. Less than an hour to install....
Week 3 b.jpg
So this is a change.... this is an extra piece of aluminum triangulation that rivets in to solidify the corners which could be prone to flex from higher horsepower applications.
Week 3 c.jpg
Bedsides fit pretty good right out of the box. Very minor adjustments.
Week 3 d.jpg
Riley is doing the in and out trimming and fitting of these upper roof pieces.
Week 3 f.jpg
Installing rear window, a little tricky but just about an hour of work.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:13 am
Looking forward to seeing this one!!!!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:16 am
Yep, me too.... We are doing a lot more in this build to make this truck very bulletproof in for day to day driving and trips. My wife really likes it so that's a big plus for me. We are using about 3 times the number of fasteners and some very advanced sealers. We are also making our own version of panel bond. I was able to do a deep dive into some adheasives technology papers with our American Institute for Conservation people and now can mix up stuff and put it in both clear regular caulk tubes and our large animal vet syringes. It has already saved me a few hundred bucks and I think our stuff is better.....

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:20 pm
And, the saga continues.... Now, I see the home stretch coming.... this was week 4 in our build. My wife said that Riley and I could have another car day during the week if we got our shop stuff done. So Thursday we got a pretty full day in....We were ALL supposed to be here for a full day however we were short on my Grandson so Riley and I just plugged ahead. The bed sides are permanently mounted and adjusted. The gas cap well and mechanism are adjusted and actually work....wow, that was a job. That mech. is a powered tab that is either mounted just right or it won't work at all. It also has an emergency pull wire that must be where you can grab it if your power goes out to the gas flap. I'd say the two of us had an hour in that thing..... That brings us to the normally very simple rear roll pan. This is the decorative trim here that sets over top of the original steel Charger bumper. Well, it's not so simple if you want to put the rear bumper sensors back in, want to try and mount the factory backup camera, and the factory led light for the license plate. Oh, and we were able to put the large plastic radar avoidance sensor holders back in their stock position. They physically do not interfere with the new bed sides and also give an original tab mount for the fender marker lights. Take a look, things are looking very "factory" again....
Attachments
Week 4 a.jpg
We were able to simply trim the original mounts for the blind spot sensors. They are back in their factory position.
Week 4 b.jpg
What I did was cut out the sleeve holders from the OEM bumper that hold the backup sensors and did a glue and short fiber applicaton to remount them.
Week 4 c.jpg
We are now drilled for those back up sensors.
Week 4 d.jpg
We now have the factory camera back up in place and the same with the rear license light.
Week 4 e.jpg
We are getting near the end of bundling wiring here. Got almost all the trailer wiring done....

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:11 pm
DarrelK wrote:My wife said that Riley and I could have another car day during the week if we got our shop stuff done.

:rotfl:

You're making good progress with this one. :clap:
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:22 pm
Yes, we are moving right along. Hoping to be in primer maybe next weekend. I'd reallly like to shake it out on the road this week but I'm still waiting on a wiring diagram for the tail lights. Ha,ha, so yes, my wife is our scheduling person for my wood restoration business. We work both in shop and on the road so what she plans goes..... :wink:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:58 am
NFT5 wrote:
DarrelK wrote:
As for why they never took off in the States, I really don't understand.

after GM dropped the grand prix and other models GM imported the G8. they didnt sell for chit. i dont know why. the GXP was/is a wicked one.
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects