341's race bike paintjobs

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:12 pm
This is Randy's '06 last year before he asphalt tested the bodywork.

This is his new scheme after the repair.

This is Dan's bike from last year. This years is the same scheme, but it'll have a big #1 on it.

This is what John's (Dan's Dad and still bloody fast) bodywork looks like now.

This is what his last year's bike looked like. Hopefully this year's will come out as good.

Cheers. Troy341

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:42 pm
Looks good.

I'm about to do a bike for the first time so I'd be interested in seeing how you're doing your tape lines. Are they turning out sharp enough no bleed. Are you getting ridges that need to be sanded down.

List what products you're using on this thread even though I know you listed some on the other.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:32 pm
I get to be a bit lazy on the race bikes. The paint job is probably not gonna last the year, the hazard of racing. If you want your lines to bury in the clear, I'd suggest butting the lines together. By that I mean tape off where one color is gonna be, then tape that color off and spray the next one. I use PPG Omni, epoxy sealer, base and clear. After sealer, I have just been spraying the front area and tail white, then taping that off in the shape of the number plate. I then spray the next color to the white, tape it off and spray the third color. Then I strip all the tape off and spray clear. I do get lines that stand up a bit that way, though. The Omni base colors are really delicate. If there is a problem, like a color bleed through the tape, it won't stand up to using a solvent to get the second color off. I haven't been able to make it anyway. Suggestions would be welcome. I don't use any flex agent, and haven't had any problems. I am no pro painter, just a novice who wants to learn. Hope that this helps.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:17 pm
Nice work. Do you do any racebike fairings in enamel? If so, do you have any pics? would they crack?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:51 pm
Is the "dad's" bike the one with the one piece fairing.. is that really a one piece fairing or is it fastened together the upper and lower? It is the one you show the photo of being stripped of paint.

Only way i could see of how to remove a one piece fairing would be to remove the front wheel.

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects