Honda CBR body

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:18 pm
I'm mostly posting this to get advice for future reference. I don't have access to an air compressor/gun for the time being.. so that is something I look forward to obtaining later this year.

The fairings/body are off of a 95 Honda CBR900RR. What happened was a thief stole the bike and dropped it like 5 times, cracking every fairing on the bike... except for one.

The primer I am using is DupliColor aerosol, DupliColor aerosol primer-sealer. Normal body filler was used and some glazing putty to fill in minor scratches and pin holes.

I'm not real computer savy so i'll have to post the url where the pictures are located.

www.allsportcycles.net/projectrestore.htm

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:50 pm
Looks good.

I've done a lot of sport bike fairing repair over the years but didn't get in to the painting side until the past few months.

I would try and avoid normal body filler and red single part glazing putty if that's what your using.

I think Duplicolor is a single part product as well right, not so good either.

You say you don't have access to a compressor/gun so I guess you're stuck with using it for the time being but I would hate to see all your hard work shrink and crack later because of using single part products.

Keep us updated on the progress.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 pm
What type of body filler would you recomend for ABS plastic? Also what type of glazing putty? I appreciate the input because it helps me learn.

On this particular set of fairings i'm not too concerned about having high quality... too many cracks in the panels to begin with.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:48 am
Before I starting learning about better products I did the following for about the past 10 years.

If it's just road rash no break through I would skim it with Fiberglass jelly and sand the hell out of it until it was smooth enough to primer.

If it was broken or burned through I would use Fiberglass cloth and resin to repair from the back and then again the jelly to fill the front.

After I found this forum I use USC Thin Icing to skim rash which is a two part flexible glazing putty.

On broken parts I now use one of the Duramix products like Semi Rigid 4040. Duramix makes a lot of stuff for these types of repairs.

With that said I never had a problem using resin and jelly in all those years but I'm trying to step up my game a bit and use proper products for the job at hand.

There's some sharp dudes on this forum and we all learn from them and sometimes they might pick up a trick or two from us. :shock:

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:49 pm
Excellent info :D Where do i buy this USC and duramix products? How easy/difficult is it to sand and shape Duramix and USC?

I was told the same thing... don't use fiberglass repair resins or glass on ABS panels.. will eventually crack. I wouldn't have known if someone hadn't told me.

I've used polyester body filler and thus far has worked well and not cracked or separated from the ABS panel. BUT like you said if there is something better i'd rather use that... especially if it's for a paying customer.

Another thing i would like to do in the near future is buy a large soldering iron and abs repair rods. I've been using a two part plastic repair glue. It holds great for the first year, but after that it starts to fail.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:57 pm
Am I allowed to post a link here to a website that sells plastic repair products for automotive and motorcycle industry? It's not my website or company. It's just a good place to learn and buy products from.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:16 am
I was lucky my local paint supplier had the USC and the duramix. They are both easy to work with just get the right Duramix for whatever it is your working with and what you're trying to do.

I've never done the plastic "welding" deal but would like to try.

I think you can post links for products here.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:22 pm
The link is for www.urethanesupply.com

a lot of you guys probably have heard of, or use them.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:33 pm
The bike is done as far as paint goes..

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/Fastrr_photos/

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:36 am
Mmmh looks nice 8) 8)
67' cal-look bug, 2020cc
63' vespa
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects