The BIG project thread

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:26 am
Howdy!! My name is Jack, and I'm a 36 year old newbie from SoCal. I've been working on cars for about 15 years, and bikes for a few years before that.

I just recently got back into thinking about paint, but have been performing minor body work for a few years when I'm not welding something for someone, or machining little doodads, or building carbs, or whatever else.

I have a lot of work ahead, so I'm glad that I found this forum!! There is a TON of great info here, and I've been reading until my eyes hurt for the past few days.

I have a total of 5 projects: a 1970 Chevelle (might be sold "as is" soon), a 1964 Buick Skylark (the one I'm working on currently), a 1956 Ford F100 panel truck (the one I've had the longest), a 1952 Ford Customline (used to belong to my ex-wife), and a 1931 Ford Model A coupe (that one's in the worst shape of the bunch). Not trying to brag with all of this, but am hoping that someone here might have similar projects, either in vintage(s), scale, or frustration. :D

Anyway, I'll be posting pix as I progress on the '64, and I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions, too!!!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:53 pm
51 Chev street rod pickup, 59 TR3, 65 Stang ragtop, 70 Duster, and my daily driver low rider pickup that isn't near finished either, at least it's driveable :roll: . All projects in various satges, I can relate to your situation :lol:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:17 pm
Right on, rjuhasz!! Got any pix posted anywhere? Go to the autobody and paint section and have a look at my heaven/hell!! :D

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:13 pm
I checked it out, nice collection of projects you have there Jack. I'm big on the panel trucks. I don't have any pictures of mine up here other than the Camaro I built for my daughter, I think it's in the colour sanding section under System One review. There's a Jeep I did a while back in the Body and paint, "Jeep Resto in acrylic" I wish I had more time to work on the projects, I have a small project to do for my son and then I can get back to my toys. Good luck with yours.

Rob

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:39 pm
Thanks, Rob!! Is that the gold mid-'70s Camaro?

I'll see if I can find the Jeep a little later tonight.

I hear ya about "outside" projects. I've been working on an aluminum console (.063" H14 3003) for a guy for a while. It's almost done, and would have been done a while ago, were it not for the fact that I don't have the room to store his project with the rest of my projects.

The holes have been cut for the shifter to pass through, and he also wanted a couple of gauges in it, so that's done. He's coming over on Saturday for another "test 'n' tune", so hopefully the next time he comes over, it'll be for final install. He doesn't want it smoothed, engine turned, or polished. He wants it left scuffed, so at least that's one less thing...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:40 pm
Oh, and yes, my shop is a pig sty. :D

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:30 pm
It's a blue 81 Camaro, if I recall correctly it's after a stang fastback in the System One Review thread. My son wants me to paint his old tow truck, shouldn't be too bad, we have new fenders, decent doors, hood. I think all I have to do is weld in new cab corners, maybe rockers, I don't remember. I hope to start on the Duster after that. The console is looking good, looks like a time consuming project. Keep posting your progress pics, I always like following along, helps inspire me to get off my **** :D

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:32 pm
Speaking of the shop being a sty, mine is on here on some other thread about shops. I have two 600 sq ft garages and you can barely move around in either :roll:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:09 pm
If I get a chance later, I'll take some pix of the console now. I had to cut it down about four inches.

Thanks for the compliment!! It was going to be a lot worse, time wise, because I had planned to rivet the whole thing together. Then I bought my EconoTIG, so obviously that pushed things along.

I made a base plate for it, but have to have the car here to fit it. I plan to hold it in place with Cleco fasteners, and then beat the snot out of it with my torpedo shaped plastic hammer. After that, I get to make a "transition" piece to connect the console to the base plate. It'll be held in the car with self tapping screws and 1/8" rubber weatherstrip material. The owner will get the car re-carpeted, and the idea is that the base will be covered with the jute padding and carpet. It should look like the console is "growing" out of the black carpet.

I hear ya about the shop space. I can't go into my garage after dark, and I almost never get into the driveway. I'm not TOTALLY lazy, I just find myself with time-constraint issues.

One of the guys in my club is going to get over here next week (I think) to give me a hand with a little organization and clean up. Whatever. I'll get it eventually.

What's going into/onto the Duster?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:17 pm
Oh, here's a few shots of the welds on the inside of the console. Not my best work, but then again, it's not a structural piece, and once it's in the car, they probably won't ever be seen again...

It wasn't easy getting around that front curve...
They aren't the greatest pix, but I'm no photographer, either!! :D
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects