Split Window Rag Top Crotch Cooler

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:30 am
We seem to have a few VW fans here so I figured I'd post up a project I was working on a few years ago.

Here's what it looked like when I first laid eyes on it.

Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:51 pm
Nice old split window. I love VW's. My father had probably 8 or so over the years and I had 6 myself. His first one was a brand new "58." Back then you had to pick them up at the Port of Entry which was Baltimore, Maryland. My first one was a clapped out "55" which I restored as a teenager. Man, makes me feel like doing something VW next time.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:32 pm
Mmmmh in fact Mike very nice 52' 8) 8)
Do you have some pics of it now? This model/year is sooo cool!

DarrelK wrote: Man, makes me feel like doing something VW next time.

:cool:

cheers
Leo
67' cal-look bug, 2020cc
63' vespa

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:07 pm
I'm a watercooled guy but I respect my roots. Looks pretty clean for the most part, congrats

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:23 pm
envieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Burnt, scarred, bloodied & greasie hands... it's a zen thing.
Airkooled Kustoms

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:46 pm
This is an old project and the sad news is I had to sell it before completion. I was going through a divorce at the time and needed attorney funds to keep what was mine.

Anyway I do have some pics somewhere of it after media blasting and in primer.

I miss this car as it is what I consider the "holy grail" of VW's since I was a teenager and had a '57 rag. I bought it with so many original parts and it was a VIN matching pan and body even though it had some questionable body work done which I was redoing.

I sold it in primer, body off the pan and boxes and boxes of parts for $10k. These cars are going up in value everyday as original parts are being depleted.

One day I'll find another........
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:13 am
You guys seem to know alot about VW's so I have a question. I have a old motor I belive from a 58 or so truck that was just rusted apart. Its a single intake tube type I think 25hp. It looks like its in really bad shape but might be salvageable. Is it worth anything or should we just scrap it?

Rob
79 El Camino restoration/customization

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:32 am
You might want to give that old motor a shot on e-bay. Guys are always restoring the old stuff. Even if the motor wasn't completely rebuildable there might be enough parts worth scavengin. Does sound like on of the old 25 h.p. single port motor.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:18 am
there is some value in an og motor
before you try e-bay
try http://www.thesamba.com
just look around in the classifieds
Burnt, scarred, bloodied & greasie hands... it's a zen thing.
Airkooled Kustoms

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:55 pm
I dreamed of doing an oval or split window custom-resto back in the day. Closest i ever got was helping fix up late 60's bugs. A friend i knew bought a split window bug and was going to restore it.. think he ended up selling it. Amazing because it had very little rust and almost all the oem parts were there. Dang.. you got 10K for a split window not completed?? wow. My friend in 1996 bought his for $800. he must have got the deal of the century, even though no work had ever been done to the car and it had a 1500CC engine transplanted into it.

I want to do a 60's Karman Ghia VW. I don't think I would keep it but it sure would be a fun project. I started a complete overhaul on a 71 Karman Ghia. The front clip had been crashed into so i was going to cut it off and weld on a good clip. I did not get that far before i was forced to sell it. I did get the body all straight from the front of the doors all the way back and shot in some Dupont primer. I peeled all the old dash covers off and smoothed the dash then had it primed. I even detailed the underside of the car including the transmission/axles. That was a fun car to work on.
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects