First time paint job

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:07 am
I bought this shell from Garage 112 last winter for $600. It was pretty much all stripped in and out. The engine bay was completely stripped. It had no headlights or bumper, and the interior only consisted of the dash, carpet and door panels. A few months ago, I swapped in my tired old SOHC.

I have been wanting to learn to paint for awhile and figured this was a perfect candidate, since its my beater, and I don't care about it much.

BEFORE:

From the doors back, the original paint isn't that bad. I should be able to restore it, for the most part, pretty easily. I decided to just paint the front end because of time, space, and money. After alot of research, and a few trips to Quality Paints, here is the result.

AFTER:

All in all, I think it turned out pretty good. I made a few mistakes, and learned alot from this whole experience.

Check out more pictures at http://www.beefstorm.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:51 am
That aint too bad! Looks you have some die-back (dulling) and
a bit of orange peel. But all-in-all, it looks ok and can be easily fixed.
Nice ride/beater and you probably know that there's a strong demand
for 240s.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:50 pm
nice to see a fellow Zer in here....what kind of gun and paint did you use?

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:04 pm
For the paint I used:

Primer
Omni MP170 Primer
Omni MP175 Hardener

For the Color I used PPG Deltron 4388

For the Clear I used
PPG DCU2021 (Clear)
PPG DCX61 (Hardener)
PPG DT870 (Reducer used for color and clear)

I used a HF 43430 with a 7gal 1 hp Craftsman compressor. The CFM was way too low for this gun, the gun requires around 15cfm and the compressor only puts out 3.5 at 40psi. It worked out ok, since I was just doing the front end, but if I was doing any more then the front, I would want a bigger compressor.

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects