Ferrari 550 Marinello - Red

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:24 am
20+ hours spread over 4 days, and will still need a few more on Monday just to wash it down and freshen it up befoe the owner comes to get it.

I dont think there was much original paint left as not many panels were the same, some were single stage while others were clear over base. The panels that had been repainted had been wetsanded back to remove the orange peel and a decent job was done in most areas except that there was no paint left on the ridges or the edges as in sections you could see the ever so slightly different shades of red where either the primer was coming through or the clear was exposing the base. (not fun) but overall the car didnt look all that bad.

I had asked the owner to come back out and have a look just to show what was there before we started as before the wash it wasnt really noticable.

Im told to continue and do the best I can, if we run out of paint he will refinish them later.

To make maters worse the areas that were the worst (both doors) had massive peel in the lower half, (I think they sore the clear going and stopped, in areas it still had sanding marks in it)

I taped up a 1/2 inch either side of the sharp crease, wetsanded some of the peel out and then buffed those areas with edge green wool and 3.01 twice, then edge white wool and 3.01 twice then Woldgang White CCS with 3.01 twice, then 106FF with a grey CCS pad at the slowest speed my buff would run at (800rpm or so) This took about 2.5 hours as I was working the products quite long and running at no more then 1000rpm since I was afraid of running out of paint..........I didnt....phew

The rest of the car was fairly straight forward yet was also increadibly thin in areas and full of sanding scratches swirls etc etc. They didnt all come out but as far as Im concerned its "better"

Majority of the car was buffed with a White edge wool and 3.01 twice, white CCS pad with 3.01 mostly twice then grey CCS with 106FF, I finished with Poorboys EX, and Nattys Red.... I know me using a wax

Interior leather and door trims was scrubbed with sunlight soap and conditioned with Poorboys Leather Stuff, glass was polished with Auto Glym Glass Polish and Auto Glym Fast Glass (no the rear window wasnt fun) Kristian my offsider did the whole interior but couldnt fit in the back to do the glass LOL There isnt much room and its a big piece. Guess who got that job.........???

Tyres were dressed with Poorboys Bold n Bright as was the engine bay, I think Ill polycharge it next time for the engine just for fun.

Here are the pics

Interior

During & After Wetsanding

You can just see the "GT Strip" so to speak because of where it was taped up..... around the light in the reflection

Driven By Shine
Automotive Detailing
www.drivenbyshine.com.au

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:01 am

That is a lot of peel. It was poorly shot and i'd be somewhat hesitant to
sand further on that. But looks like another happy ending!

I gotta try the CCS pads, instead of my 3M waffles...
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:18 am
Han wrote:That is a lot of peel. It was poorly shot and i'd be somewhat hesitant to

So true, I didnt even want to do this, and I certainly wasnt comfortable when I was doing it. but since I was told by the owner if you run out I wont be billed for it. I though what the heck, he actually asked me to wetsand it as he didnt like the extra peel it had.

Hows this though, the middle of the panel and main areas measured around 18mils of paint and along the crease measured 7mils, thats a massive difference hey, it was that reading that basically told me if careful I should be right :shock:
Driven By Shine
Automotive Detailing
www.drivenbyshine.com.au

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:40 am
18 mils likely means some filler work there (as you probably know)
and 7 mils is likely just more paint over factory. If there was a guage
to measue just the top coat...

Curious, why didn't the owner ask the shop (individual) to take care
of the peel? Probably just paid for it and left, not trusting to have them fix it.
Or he/she bought the car as it is...

DBS, do you work on the interior first??
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:01 am
Han,

The owner didnt get the shop to do it as its a Hong Kong import and its know in Australia LOL. But it raises the question....why didnt the previous owner get the shop to fix it???? Some people just dont know what to look for hey?

By the way there is a guage that measure 3 layers above the substrate (carbon, metal, aluminium, plastic, fibre glass). Its the Delfesko Positector 200 and over here in Aus, there wouldnt be any change out of $4000

http://www.defelsko.com/p200/positector200.htm

Yes I wish I had one aswell. Awesome tool, imagine how much confidence youd have knowing exactly how much clear or topcoat ther was. :lol:

There was some filler in afew places but Im pretty sure that the most part of the doors was just thick bad paint over the existing paint.

Chris
Driven By Shine
Automotive Detailing
www.drivenbyshine.com.au

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:14 am
Nice work, for such a expensive car you would think it would have better looking door handles

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:59 pm
Han wrote:

That is a lot of peel. It was poorly shot and i'd be somewhat hesitant to

Great work as usual DBS.

Han CCS pads rule.

Though they are the only ones I've ever tried. lol
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects