Stangbangerz.com PINKS build...

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:46 pm
OK, I said I would do this a while ago but never did. The show aired this past Wed. Feb 20th at 9pm on SPEED tv.
Here are the details on the car and some pics of the build process...

The car was pretty much given to us as a worn out '87 coupe powered by a 4 cylinder and 5speed. it was a mess...

I helped a friend with all the body work and it was my first project. I needed to learn a bit as I was starting to work on my personal car at the time.

After tons of body work a lot of patch panels, we got it pretty straight...

The paint materials were donated by NAPA auto parts and the color is a twist of Prowler Orange by Martin Senior with some other pearls and freebies mixed in. I got to help spray some primer, sealer and base...

A little something on the hood to break it up and some free clear coat and we were ready to start bolting parts on in under 2 weeks of paint and body labor!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:57 pm
After a little more than 6 weeks of build time the car was at a local drag strip making test passes just three days before we were to be in Kansas City for the show. There were a lot of late nights thrashing to get this thing ready at the last minute. The stress factor was always through the roof!

After a 12 hour drive to Kansas City, some last minute tuning on a local chassis dyno, and a bunch of vinyl stickers thanking the sponsors...we were there and ready to race!!!

Heres a few good action shots from the race...

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:06 pm
Between the extreme heat and 7 back to back passes, both teams had car troubles to deal with. After just a few passes, we lost our back brakes, then before the last pass the right front caliper locked up. 150mph trap speeds with almost no brakes...scary.
The camaro was having over heating issues.

And eventually....we won...

I have a lot more build pics I'll post soon...I just have to upload them.

MJ

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:55 pm
That's a bad **** sequence of photos. It really captures the moment of hustle to accomplish a task. It's funny to see a bunch of people at crunch time to pitch in. Both cars look remarkable. But one mans loss is another man's gain. Question; How do you go about retaining sponsorship for projects?
Just walk away....

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:48 pm
Hell yah!
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:42 pm
It's a shame that your pretty paint got 90% covered with all those stickers! I guess somethings gotta pay the bills though

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:48 pm
Great job on the car...congrats on the win!

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects