virgin body worker... Update(Its Done)

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:06 pm
Robert LaPierre wrote:8) looking little dog. I told my girls we can't get one until I put up the fence in the back yard. What kind is it? I'm not really knowledgable with dogs.

I dont have a fence either need one though. i just got it cuz it was going to get shot if i didnt and i though what the hell. i know its part jack russel but other then that i dont know exactly. Lab i think. or thats what they said it was but i dont think they really know

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:53 pm
WalMart rattle can primer is a lacquer primer, it soaks
water up like a sponge.
If you wet sand it once it is over bare metal you will
create rust underneath.
Lacquer primer is not made for bare steel and can peel off
in sheets down the road.
(I learned that the hard way) 8)
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:56 pm
:evil: Ouch....I believe he is correct, but than I never used rattle can paint on a car before.
Just walk away....

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:27 pm
Well that pretty much sucks if it is true. it isnt on bare metal though it has duplicolor primer under it. but im sure your right and itll mess up in the end but its done and here is what it looks like.

on truck

Overall truck so far.(wrong grille thats my bad. SORTA)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:47 pm
Cool, looks good. So what part of the truck are you going to work on next?

Yeah lacquer primer should not go on bare metal. Get yourself a spray can of etch primer and put it on the bare metal. Then spray the primer that you are using.

Now that you have been bitten by the body and paint bug, its endless fun for the rest of your life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr. Auto Car Repairs http://www.doctorautorepair.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:40 pm
Doesnt look too bad for a first try and painted with rattle cans. My firs truck, a 68 Chev Stepside, I painted with rattle can primer, since it was so **** ugly. I've since moved up to the real deal, HVLP guns, basecoat/clearcoats, etc. It's a learning process that will have you staring with pride at some things, and steaming mad and wanting to throw stuff other times. Right now, Ive gone through both stages this past week. Staring in awe at my shaved tailgate, only to realize there's a problem with my filler and now Ill most likely have to strip the thing back to bare metal, making me want to chuck that tailgate into the street (the mad and throwing stuff stage). It just makes you even more determined to dig back into it to prove you will not be defeated by a piece of sheetmetal and some paint!!!! :D
WWW.DodgeTrucks.org Administrator
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Auto
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Auto
2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4.0L V6
My Pix

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:21 pm
alexflacco wrote:Cool, looks good. So what part of the truck are you going to work on next?

Yeah lacquer primer should not go on bare metal. Get yourself a spray can of etch primer and put it on the bare metal. Then spray the primer that you are using.

Now that you have been bitten by the body and paint bug, its endless fun for the rest of your life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I plan on tackling the top of the cab. and i hope to get it at least primed by the end of the night should be to bad doesn't need any major work that i can see. but you know how that kinda stuff can go...

And ive been in love with the idea painting and body work since i was little. all i have ever wanted to do is get a job at a shop. most everything i have learned about auto body came from watching power block Saturday morning.

I appreciate the comments. Thanks alot guys.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:22 pm
RamThis wrote:Doesnt look too bad for a first try and painted with rattle cans. My firs truck, a 68 Chev Stepside, I painted with rattle can primer, since it was so **** ugly. I've since moved up to the real deal, HVLP guns, basecoat/clearcoats, etc. It's a learning process that will have you staring with pride at some things, and steaming mad and wanting to throw stuff other times. Right now, Ive gone through both stages this past week. Staring in awe at my shaved tailgate, only to realize there's a problem with my filler and now Ill most likely have to strip the thing back to bare metal, making me want to chuck that tailgate into the street (the mad and throwing stuff stage). It just makes you even more determined to dig back into it to prove you will not be defeated by a piece of sheetmetal and some paint!!!! :D

Im kinda afraid to go there still. i want to paint it tangelo pearl and that stuff isn't cheap so i think ill have my friend do that for me when i get the money. im just trying to get it not looking like crap right now.
Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects