virgin body worker... Update(Its Done)

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:19 pm
Well im 17 and don't have any experience with body work what so everWell about a week ago i bought a truck from my cousin. it needed some body work pretty bad.

I plan on getting it painted for real over the summer when i have a lil extra money. But i saw this as a great opportunity to learn and get some experience.

My first goal was to re bondo and paint the tailgate. it had been shaved at a body shop before but he was new and didn't do a real good job so i needed to re bondo.

Her are some pictures of the process as of late any tips would be greatly appreciated.

sanded down and bondoed.

Coat of white primer to find the dents i missed.

Thats all the pictures i have so far. i really think i did a better job then the guy before me and he was an actully body shop guy. the primer on it is drying now and then im going to wet sand it for the base coat.

O and all this is being done with Rattle can[/img]
Last edited by dtbrake on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:40 pm
Picture after i wet sanded the primer.

Thought id also post a picture to show you guys what im using to do all this with. nothing fancy just basic stuff.

sand paper- 60 for striping it to bare metal 320 for shaping my bondo and 1000 for the wetsand.

Paint-Duplicolor high gloss white, cheap walmart gray primer. havnt bought any clear coat yet ill pic that up after school tomorrow. and i used white duplicolor primer for my guide coat.

All in all im actully pretty impressed. when i first started this i was afraid i would mess it up. but so far so good and im really happy. Alto of the stuff i learned before doing this i read on this site this site is great, and for the beginner its a dream come true. Thanks to all you guys

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:56 am
Dude don't wet sand with 1000 unless you plan on clearing it. 600 grit for metallics, 400 for solid colors.
Just walk away....

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:54 am
I'm liking that workspace you've carved out of the pile of building materials :wink:

Keep at it!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:36 pm
Robert LaPierre wrote:Dude don't wet sand with 1000 unless you plan on clearing it. 600 grit for metallics, 400 for solid colors.

I plan on layng a couple coats of clear on it. but the weather took a dump and i dont know if i can get my "SHOP" to warm up enough for it today. i layed 4 coats of base on it last night. i was going to wet sand my base before my clear. should i not

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:31 am
You can but just the nibs and than follow with another quick 1 1/2 coats. Now before I give you bad advice make sure you got a hardner in your paint. When done with your coats let flash for a half an hour and than clear it. Now to avoid excessive peel lay your first coat of clear nice but don't run it or make it too dry. Follow with your last coats with reduced clear by 10%. Before you hammer it though make sure the first coat is not stringy when you put your finger on it (inconspicuous spot of course) and that it's not dry either. You'll find the trick once you start getting the hang of it. Good luck 8)
Just walk away....

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:24 am
Robert, he said the whole job is being done with rattle cans. for a rattle can job I think sanding the paint with 1000 grit before rattle can clearing would be ok. But I don't know why you want to clear it. Rattle can paint is going to be about as shiny as rattle can clear.
Dr. Auto Car Repairs http://www.doctorautorepair.com

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:56 pm
My bad, I didn't pick up on that. I think doing this kind of work gives you selective reading :lol: :lol:
Just walk away....

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:03 pm
Pic during wet sand of basecoat.

And a random one of the pup i got last night.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:27 pm
8) looking little dog. I told my girls we can't get one until I put up the fence in the back yard. What kind is it? I'm not really knowledgable with dogs.
Just walk away....
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects