Custom Bike Helmet!!

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:55 am
TheNewGenration wrote:Hey hows it goin fellaz.. Decided to get some work done on one of my helmets. Had some left over metallic silver and black left. Keep in mind these pictures taken with my cell phone and they dont at all do the basecoat any justice. It looked extremely nice except for 2 small flat spots that were on the outside ceiling of the helmet...

First coat of high build 2k primer

Base coat. Had some metallic silver laying around. Going to be basing it with this metallic silver and airbrushing black into it. Along some hints of white and light and dark silvers.

had some minor flat spots in it due to a collision I was involved in. Wetsanded the base, applied a polyester sealer and some more high build primer. Got rid of the flat spots..

Will be updating this thread as progress continues. Can't wait to get the bc/cc on so I can got at it with the airbrush. Will be updated shortly..

HEY BOSS, IM NEW TO THIS STUFF, DID U HAVE TO SAND THE OLD PAINT OFF TO PAINT UR HELMET?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:52 pm
Yes, I started with 180 and took off the original clear, decals and scuffed up the paint. I fixed some minor blemishes with the original base. Rebased it with omni black, then another base of silver. Just cleared it last night.

Mixed up some black and metalic silver base to make a nice gun metal metallic, and am in the process of applying right now.

Will post more pics soon as it sets..
knowledge is power, power is experience

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:29 pm

I think the base silver over the base black looks much better. This is some shots after the clear coat. Theres rubbing compound on some of the helmet and these pictures still dont do it justice.. Will update again shortly

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:27 am
TheNewGenration wrote:Yes, I started with 180 and took off the original clear, decals and scuffed up the paint. I fixed some minor blemishes with the original base. Rebased it with omni black, then another base of silver. Just cleared it last night.

Mixed up some black and metalic silver base to make a nice gun metal metallic, and am in the process of applying right now.

huh? like i said im completely new to this, so why 2 different base coats? why clearcoat before final coat? id appreciate the info.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:30 am
and also how did u get all the padding out of the helmet?
i try to take it out of mine and it looks like its all glued in or something.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:38 am
bjtkilla wrote:
TheNewGenration wrote:Yes, I started with 180 and took off the original clear, decals and scuffed up the paint. I fixed some minor blemishes with the original base. Rebased it with omni black, then another base of silver. Just cleared it last night.

huh? like i said im completely new to this, so why 2 different base coats? why clearcoat before final coat? id appreciate the info.

Too be honest im not a professional but i'll try to break it down.. Basically diff colors on top of each other are going to reflect light differently.. You'd agree that black by far reflects/absorbs much more light then other lighter paints, now the type of material also matters but Im keeping this basic..

I put down a base of black to give the metalic silver over lay a darker look, if the base of the helm had been white, i think it would reflect differently in the sun. Since the bike is a 3 stage silver it has a light\dark silvers to it.. I'm not about to pay 196.00 for a pint of that stuff, so I have to do the best I can. I also I had the paint and materials hanging around to do it with...

I'm putting so many different layers of clear because If I mess up I can just wetsand whatever airbrushing work I want off, gives me a margin for error basically.. For instance, lets say I airbrushed some vents on the rear of the helmet and fawked it up, now if there wasnt a layer of clear between the base and the airbrush work, It would've made a mess and I would have to possibly reshoot the base again, not cool. Most professionals you wont see doing this because either they hardly ever make mistakes, or when they do they've planned for it and have some type of trick or back door to help them out.

It really depends on the job and what kind of effects your trying to get out of it I guess. Like I said, I'm not a professional, just very dedicated and persistant.. Two things you have to be, TRUST ME..

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:46 am
I used a heat gun, very carefully(DO NOT MELT PLASTICS..

Go around the whole helmet, keep pulling on padding, it will all come out, its a mix of glue and two sided tape. Do not take off gasket around visor linor. I did with a heat gun and damaged a little part of it and hjc is saying they dont sell that individual part, so now I have to put something together.

All the clips will come out with some care, dont be forceful, they are plastic and they will break easy. Straps will not come out of helmet, so either spray some plastic sealer or wrap them up.

Dont know if your familiar with photoshop, but I've been using it since 1997 and I have to say the reason its as powerful as it is, is because of layers. Painting works the exact way, the nicer each layer looks, the better the final product will..

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:51 am
thanks a lot!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:19 pm

updated pic with some work I got done over the weekend.. Now the REAL fun begins.. :twisted:
Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects