Criticize my first attempt!

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:21 pm
As the title says, I'm looking for advice on my first paint project. :shocked: I had asked alot of questions last year which was helpful, but I'm just getting back around to post the pictures of the finished product. Project was fiberglass fenders and bedsides for an '88 Ford Ranger, they came with a gelcoat on them which I lightly sanded before using Tamco's DTA Epoxy primer. The primer went down fairly good, I ran into a couple spots where the primer wouldn't adhere to the fiberglass, it was like it had wax on it and everytime I'd spray primer the primer would just bead up and not stick to those areas. Probably a prep problem, I'm sure. I then went on to spray the basecoat, which was the original Ford colors from Tamco, I started getting excited now! It went on very easily and I was very happy with the results after getting the basecoat done. After that had cured overnight I sprayed the clearcoat, Tamco HC-2100 Glamour Coat, with a medium reducer. Temps were in the low 80's with a decent amount of humidity. I had a lot of orange peel to deal with after the clearcoat, and what I'm looking for here are some recommendations to get the primer, basecoat, and clear coat to lay down better on my future projects. I used the Harbor Freight purple gun (I know, I know, not the best by any means, but people had had good results with it so I thought I'd give it a try ) to spray all three, with two air filters and one air drier. I did have a lot of issues getting the gun setup correctly, I couldn't seem to get the pattern right, it never laid the paint, primer, or clear down like I believe it should, it was always very light and a little splattery, I couldn't get the nice oval pattern and solid coverage you're supposed to ( But I was learning by the seat of my pants, and I had no one other than the internet to ask questions from. ). I can't remember off the top of my head what I had my regulators set to for air pressure, at the gun or at the compressor, but any tips there would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you for taking the time to read, I'll try and attach pictures of the finished product. All I painted on the truck were the fenders and bedsides, the cab hasn't been done yet.
Attachments
IMG_20170709_192842446_HDR.jpg
The finished product before the cut and buff. You can see some spots that didn't cover well, and the orange peel effect.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:24 pm
IMG_20180402_171832810_HDR.jpg
Rough Spots, more places the primer didn't want to stick
I'm having issues trying to upload the rest of the pictures, it keeps saying my file is invalid, I'll try again later.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:49 pm
there are a lot of things that can cause O/P a couple are not enough air pressure and or a to small fluid tip. you might try and reduce the clear just a tad, an oz or two to a cup full. 80 deg. is probably the upper limit for your reducer maybe go up to the next reducer or mix the two. on your epoxy you need to wipe your fiberglass a couple times with wax and grease remover, wipe on wipe off then let it evaporate good and dry. some fiberglass has mold release on it and that will cause the problem. your picture of the front fender looks like it didn't get wiped off very good, fish eyes.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic