Window Trim

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 pm
I have a 2009 Honda Civic LX. I plan to keep it for another 3-4 years. For the past year the clearcoat I believe that is what it is called has been peeling over the black parts of the car around the windows such as the pillar post and window trim and it looks pretty bad.

I have had no previous experience doing any kind of body work before. I'm looking at a few options. For the door pillars there are these $11 cover kits which basically look like a plastic sticker to cover those sections. About $30 or so to get some aftermarket rubber trim replacement for the bottom part of the window but there doesn't seem to be anything for the top trim part of the window.

I'm thinking of just getting some kind of spray or paint to cover over it. Is there some automotive spraycan I can buy to mask off the area and spray over the trim that is pealing? I'm not sure if the area needs to be sanded down for it to work? It seems like it's some kind of plastic. Better yet if someone can find the part for it for me to replace entirely but cheaply that would be best.

I'm not looking for anything high quality because I know that is expensive just passable enough so that it doesn't draw attention.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:00 pm
dragonwalker wrote:...........I'm thinking of just getting some kind of spray or paint to cover over it. Is there some automotive spraycan I can buy to mask off the area and spray over the trim that is pealing? I'm not sure if the area needs to be sanded down for it to work? It seems like it's some kind of plastic. ............

Krylon Fusion spray cans work well for small jobs such as this. You can get it at
any hardware store or Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. It's intended for plastic or rubber,
and comes in several colors. Satin black is probably what you need.

Mask the area off, sand with 400 grit sandpaper ('feathering' the edges), wipe it
down with 50/50 water/alcohol mix, and spray.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic