Plastics in a Fiero

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:20 pm
I was going through some of my old files last night and ran across this information that might be of some use to you guys that are working on Pontiac Fieros or are using them as a base for kit cars or widebody kits. GM in their infinite wisdom at the time just referred to the Fiero as being made of Enduraflex plastic. That was pretty much just a marketing thing because this is what was really going on....

Enduraflex Body Panels
General Information
Noticed the use of the term "Enduraflex" in some recent thread. As was noted by another list member, this term was a marketing term only, there is no material such as "Enduraflex". Actually 4 different varities of reinforced composite plastic made up the Fiero's body panels.

SMC
Sheet Molded Compound makes up the hood, roof, rear upper quarter, and rear decklid.

RRIM
Reinforced Reaction Injection Molding make up fenders, door panels, and lower rear quarters. (the rear lowers were later changed to injection molded nylon)

RIM
Reaction Injection Molded Urethane is used for the facias.

TPO
Thermo Plastic Olefin is used for the rocker panels.
As a side note, the 84 engine cover grill is magnesium!

All Fiero panels are painted with high solids acrylic enamels, and covered with a clearcoat.

Just thought this might help some of you that have been misled on what resins, fillers, etc. to use on what parts.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:56 am
When those cars first came out I remember washing off the primer on a new panel before you could paint it. The factory primer sucked!
It would lift like a b!tch when you put the base on it.

I remember seeing one on the back of a wrecker that had caught fire,,,I couldn't tell what kind of car it was until the wrecker driver told me................Crazy!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic