Want to paint my rzr a custom color! Pics included!

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:38 pm
Hey all! Just picked up a new rzr xp1k. These new ones come with an automotive style paint with some metallic. I'm not sure how they are painted from factory maybe a 2 stage paint? Anyway I want to custom paint it a color of my choice with a 2 stage process bc/cc. How would I go about this sand with da with 220 then prime bc/cc just like an automotive bumper? I might end up painting some other plastic parts that have somewhat of a texture to them. Do I sand those smooth with 220 and then primer? I'm wondering if I'll have any adhesion problems down the road. I know enough to wipe them with wax and grease remover beforehand and hit them with some adhesion promoter prior to priming. Anyone have any experience painting utv/atv plastics any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:00 am
Sorry I can't add much other than saying I recently inspected one of those at work. the owner put at least $50-60k in mods to it. It was ridiculous. His was custom painted so I know it's possible.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:27 am
Any substrate is paintable with the right prep work. If you are not in a hurry I can inspect a RZR and give you a proper step by step this week.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:08 pm
ryanschillinger wrote:Sorry I can't add much other than saying I recently inspected one of those at work. the owner put at least $50-60k in mods to it. It was ridiculous. His was custom painted so I know it's possible.

yeah people really get crazy with the mods! Its more than enough machine as is. I added a roof, lower doors, spare tire, cooler, and half windshield. That's all for me!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:11 pm
PainterDave wrote:Any substrate is paintable with the right prep work. If you are not in a hurry I can inspect a RZR and give you a proper step by step this week.

Thanks PainterDave you're always on top of answering questions, appreciate the time and knowledge! I am in no hurry to paint it, thinking of doing it as a winter project when I cant use it so no rush! I see you are in Denver so you know how it gets in the winter around here!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:12 pm
Are you in Denver ? I would come take a look if you like. Also get you some smoking deals on any paint you want to use. You afraid of the snow lol ? Three feet deep on a mountain is what I like lol

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:59 pm
No I'm in Glenwood springs. Appreciate that though. Haha I'm not afraid of the snow I love the stuff, was just saying for the fact that the winters are long and I can't use the machine so I'll be looking for a project to do. You snowboard or ski? I'll take you up on that for the paint. You own a paint shop in Denver?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:25 pm
i dont own a shop anymore. but i know all the reps for sherwin williams, Akzo nobel aka sikkens, valpar, and PPG very well. i paint all of their personal stuff. so when you are ready for paint let me get it for you. i run the paint department for a global company now. busy week we got time to figure out the best method of painting that for you. if you are ever in denver you should come see my paint shop.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:14 am
hey hobbypainter have not forgot about you just letting you know

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:13 pm
Hey PainterDave, did you ever take a look at the RZR and figure out a solution? I'm in the same boat...
Next

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic