Ordered stillen side skirts and need to finish shaping

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:58 am
So I have a 350z and doing the stillen body kit. I have ordered the v1 side skirts and in the air ports/slots there is urethane from the mold that needs to be removed. What is the best way to remove it with out doing damage to the skirt and giving my self more work?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:30 pm
Any chance we could see a few pic.s?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:00 am
Here is a link to the side skirts I got. I need to find a tool to finish the shaping of the holes. U can look from the back side and see that its a small thin peace of plastic that I need to remove.
https://www.stillen.com/exterior/body-s ... -350z.html

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:35 pm
If this is back at that vent hole I would probably be using something like a variable speed Dremel tool and a carbide cutter. What you run into these polyurethanes is they kind of melt as you cut them so keeping your speed down just enough to cut without slinging that hot crap everywhere works best. I like to hold the tool mostly in my right hand but brace the cutter tip with my other hand pushing off the piece. That makes the cut slow and deliberate so the tool doesn't tend catch and hop up.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic