Prop maker seeking advice!

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:08 pm
Hi there! I'm really new to all this and I'm looking for some guidance. I'm a prop builder and I'm trying to move away from spray paint and acrylics, I'm dying to switch into automotive paint because I feel that it gives a cleaner finish on props. I know absolutely nothing about automotive paint and I would love some suggestions on where to get products, a basic crash course of what I need, and any tips and tricks! I have an Iwatta airbrush so I can spray paint easily but I would love to use candy colors and possibly flakes or marbelizer on my next piece. Do I need a special unit to spray flakes or will my airbrush do the trick?

I appreciate all the advise!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:13 pm
Can you elaborate on what a "prop" is in your world?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, plastic?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 pm
Most of what I use is heavy grade Eva foam that has been coated in XTC 3D; a 3D print primer that forms a thin plastic layer.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:03 am
It's hard to reply, as there is so much to learn, when you're beginning. There are some good posts here, in the beginning of the Paint and Autobody section about what to use, what grit sandpaper to use, and when. Most guys here will probably not be familiar with the materials you're working with, either. We deal with steel, and fiberglass, some plastics, and maybe aluminum.
So start your education in the other section. Go to You Tube for additional visual instruction, though beware, there are some pretty bad actors out there, as well as bad advice.
As for materials, find a local auto body supply house, They are in big cities, and scattered around suburban areas. They can be a great source of knowledge, depending on the guys behind the counter. My guys are very sharp, when it comes to material selection, and even help find economical products when necessary.
As for your airbrush, it can handle automotive materials, if reduced more than recommended, but it won't handle any larger flaked material. Buy a "door jamb" gun for spraying more material over larger areas. They are pretty versatile.
Most of all be safe, read the materials (tech sheets) you can request from your supplier, about mixing, waiting time, and what safety equip. is necessary when handling these products. Some are very toxic.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic