What type of glue?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:27 am
I have to extend/reshape the inner wheel wells of a 2014 Malibu I'm working on (see the projects section...Aston Malibu conversion). I plan on buying a sheet of black ABS to do this, and I'd like some recommendations on what type of glue to use to put them together. Probably use some wide flange pop rivets as well. I DO have a Fusor gun for those products.
Thanks!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:40 pm
So just to make sure....you are bonding ABS to ABS?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:17 am
I haven't removed any of the panels completely, so I'm not sure what type of plastic it is. Thought someone who works on late models might be able to tell me, or recommend a glue to use on dissimilar plastics. I'm more of a 1940's-60's guy, so not very informed about all the plastic stuff!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:46 am
Well, that's what has kind of changed with plastics.....more and more of them are welded together because they are the same type of materials. Dissimilar plastics are almost never simply glued together because the of the distinctly different characteristics that each plastics exhibit. I think your best bet would be to get some advice directly from the horse's mouth.... online check out www.polyvance.com or simply give the people at Fusor a call. When I've had to do panel bonding of metals, woods, glass in dissimilar materials I just called them and talked with a tech. there.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am
Sounds like a good idea...thanks!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic