HELP - What went wrong?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Yeah, that's about right..... Omni is fine....I've shot both Omni and Shopline and if there is a difference it can't be much. Shopping PPG around won't accomplish much as there prices are pretty fixed especially since you're just a counter customer......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:25 am
Alright y'all, I know it's been a minute. With school and work, as well as the truck breaking down itself a good 3-4 times, I've been a little busy. So a few questions right now.

1. The paint I bought should be fine still right? None of it has been mixed and it's sitting on a room-temp shelf in the garage. I'm assuming I just run it by ppg and they'll shake it up for me.

2. Will the epoxy primer increase the toughness of the plastic? (I'm thinking like bedliner, or heat treated paint that gets hard).

So before I painted the dash, I wanted to stress test it first and see how my welds help up on the truck for about a week. -- Not so well. Some of the existing cracks expanded (I think this was my fault) and I have an entirely new split in one spot. I'm going to run it all back over with a dremel and plastic welder and see what happens. Just wanted to know if I painted it with the epoxy, would it make it more durable?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:31 pm
Your paints fine, stuff can last for literally years.... Nope, epoxy doesn't make your surface tougher/stronger....it does give the surface more of an "elastic" quality as far as the paints/clears that go over top of it. If you are still having structural problems with the dash itself those have got to be under control before you paint.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am
Been a minute, but couldn't repair the dash. So I went out and bought a new one. Hopefully painting tomorrow to get it over with, but first couple questions

1. Does the paint I have need to be shaken again? I vaguely recall the person at the counter telling me to come back and have it shaken if I let it sit.

2. I've got my Epoxy primer, and SSU Color. How many coats should I do of each, and how long should I let it sit in between each coat?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:29 am
Should I also get some plastic adhesive promoter?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:15 pm
The question is....is that a "raw"plastic dash or has it been pre-primed by the manufacturer? If it is raw yes, to the AP. If not, go into the epoxy. As for coats that should be in your Product Sheets on the stuff.
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic