Plastic Parts

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:34 pm
I have been painting some ATV plastic parts for my daughters side by side. It turned out pretty good--it has been a learning experience. Originally I sanded the plastic with 120, then 2 coats of epoxy and then sanded that with 400 after seeing some orange peel, etc. I still had some scratches show through the base and I believe that maybe 120 was too aggressive--the hood of the SxS was pretty rough so it took a lot to get deep scratches, residue etc out of it.

I have been asked to paint a golf cart and wonder if my process is flawed. Typically I believe you would add several coats of high build polyester primer in between the epoxy and the color coat, guide coat and block sand. However, I wonder if the flexibility of plastic will cause a cracking issue if I have too many coats (2 coats of epoxy, 3 coats of high build, coat of sealer, 2 coats of base, 3 coats of clear).

Thoughts?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:02 pm
now i'm not there to see it, but most golf carts are a semi rigid plastic. so I would just sand it with some 220 or so and then spray a couple coats of high build. if the cart is really smooth you could finish it with 600 and go right to your base and clear. if it's a little rough then block it with 180 then a good wet coat of high build. finish with 600 using a guide coat. this is just one way it can be done, you could also use the epoxy as a first coat. with flexible parts you want to minimize your film build.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:41 pm
the yamaha golf carts i paint are already painted. sand with 500 and a little lacquer primer where i burn through. seal with epoxy and paint
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic