Fibre Glass Repair and Paint

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:33 pm
Hi Folks

I have a single seater racing car which has a fibre glass body. Recently the front cover has become scratched as it got caught in the wind and thrown across the floor. Before this happened I had not long had the whole car repaired and painted @ a Pro body shop which was quite expensive. The paint is metallic 2 part.

My question is can I realistically expect to get a finish like the body shop did if I DIY this. Also not really much of a clue on how to start. Do I just rub the top cover down to provide a key? what do I use to fill the scratches? do I need a primer?

Also any issues with applying the lacquer after the first coat, anything I need to be aware of?

I also have quite a bit of damage to a side panel which has taken a chunk out of the fiberglass (a slither) and also its cracked. How would I go about repairing that? I know you can get fiberglass repair kits do I just glass some layers of fibre on apply the hardener and then rub this down when dry? Or do I need to do anything with Gel Coat??

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic