Repainting a polyurethane bumper cover

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:41 pm
Hello everyone, I've been a long time lurker here but haven't really posted much. My 13 year old son and I are restoring a 1986 Mustang GT for his "high school" car.

We got a really nice used front bumper cover for it. I have read several threads on painting polyurethane bumper covers, but I still have a question.

I don't know how many layers of paint this bumper cover has on it...should I sand it to remove some of the previous paint, or just scuff with red scotchbrite, shoot adhesion promoter, seal, and paint? If I need to sand, it seems like 180 grit is appropriate - is that correct?

Thanks in advance :goodjob:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:37 am
Well, it's like this....sounds like you think it has more than factory paint on it. I'd say if it only has one more paint job on it (not rattle can or aerosol stuff) you might be able to scuff and shoot. If it is more paint than that in thickness or you think you are seeing some rattle can I'd sand it on down. Oh, and I just caught something else here....adhesion promoter is only for bare plastic. If you aren't sanding down that far you do not need it. And on grit selection, try to use the highest grit for removal that will still get the job done. Might be more like in the 120 to 180 range.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:16 pm
Thanks for the info :goodjob:

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic