Repair or replace this bumper cover?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:17 pm
I have a 1988 Chevy Monte Carlo SS with some damage to the front bumper cover (see pictures).

The leading edges (where the bumper meets the front edge of the hood) and the center body line are "worn down" for lack of a better term. There's similar wear on the flat surfaces.

Is this repairable? Is there a filler that can be built up enough to re-create the body line? Is it possible to fix this without the repair cracking etc. later?

I would prefer to repair this cover if at all possible because factory GM parts are getting hard to find and I really don't want to deal with an aftermarket cover.

Thanks in advance.

Pictures:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:27 pm
I won't kid you.....bumpers of that vintage with that much wear and tear are usually better replaced, however I'd at least take a crack at that one. Looks like an expanded foam core with the plastic surface. I'd rather refer you to a higher power though.... go to www.polyvance.com and do a little exploring on their plastics and bumper I.D. system and then call them. They really know their stuff when it comes to bumpers like this......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:23 pm
Not what I was hoping to hear, but thank you for the honest assessment.

Also, thanks for the tip on polyvance.com-I'll check it out.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:31 am
Don't give up hope....Polyvance gave me enough direction that I saved a couple of old clunker bumper covers and a wing that I thought were toast.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic