How would you fix this cracked grille?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pm
This is the grille on my 2006 F150. It has been cracked for some time and I finally want to take care of it. I can't tell what type of plastic it is, but I don't believe it is ABS??? Anyway...I'm considering JB Weld...but obviously I'm not set on that since I am coming here. Whatever I do I'm assuming I will need to chamfer the front side to give the "filler/adhesive" somewhere to bite into, and then sand and paint it.

I'm open to suggestions, preferably budget friendly ones since these grilles are only around $100-$150.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:35 pm
It would really help to identify the plastic before deciding what to do with it..... go to this page.... https://www.polyvance.com/identify.php If you look down at the bottom of that page you will see a bunch of symbols that are usually stamped on the backside or edge of the plastic piece. Just guessing without knowing what the plastic is....but it will come down to probably either plastic welding or using something like their Plastifix. If plastic welding is recommended you might be able to do it yourself if it can be done with simple iron welding or even take it to a collision shop that might have the newer nitrogen plastic welders. JB Weld is not bad but I doubt that it will get much bite on that plastic.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:27 pm
Welp...I was wrong. Clear as day on the back side of the grille it's stamped "ABS".

I currently own some JB Weld, and the usual 2-part epoxy in the syringe style container...but you're the expert....whattya think?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:56 pm
If it is ABS I would weld it. Cheap iron style welder at Harbor Freight is about $16 and their $7 plastic welding rod pack does have some ABS rod in it. Welding it like that should be a lasting repair. If you get the grill off and could get to the back side you could even weld in a few extra lengths of the rod itself to act as a "stiffener."
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic