Paint Lifting - Please Help

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:04 pm
Hi All

I'm having a terrible time painting a fibreglass nose cone. The cone was all primed using a high build primer (Halfords) and looked perfect. I took of the roughness with some 600 Grit wet and dry using plenty of water and then applied my base coat only to get paint lifting all over one part. I rubbed down and tried applying the base coat again, still lifted although looks like the lifted paint has moved to a different area now!!!!

I finally after the 3rd time of trying, sanded the nose (where the lifted paint is) right back with 240, 320 and then finished with 600 and primed again. I then base coated a very light coat and all looked ok. I applied a thicker wetter coat although not too thick and it looked ok until five minutes later when 2 areas, completely different from the previous areas started lifting again!!!! I am at the end of my tether with this. This paint job should of took a few hours but its taken me all day and still needs fixing again!!! Other areas of the cone look perfect using the same primer and base coat so I'm not sure where to go from here. I also did a side panel which worked out fine.

My main concern is fixing again, should I just rub down again when completely dry? The cone is actually starting to look a bit of a mess as I can see higher areas of paint in certain light so I guess I should knock it all back down again but I dont want to do the complete nose cone again. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can stabilise the paint underneath? Does anyone have any ideas on how to best deal with this apart from getting someone else to do it!!!!!

Frustrated is not the word!

Many thanks for any words of wisdom

Thanks

Richard

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:44 am
Sealer.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic