67 Corvette. GRP for the first time... potentially at home

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:02 am
DarrelK wrote:that seems awfully cheap for a "repop" style fiberglass body.

My thoughts exactly. I'd be very dubious about the quality, and by the time I'd paid the shipping and import taxes into the UK it bumps it to $8000 which still seems cheap, but too risky for me, seeing as I wouldn't be able to return it if anything was wrong with it.

Here are some images of the Corvette. I've tried to capture all the worst bits.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:04 pm
Well, I don't need to tell you.....pictures show it all.... that poor thing has had a lot "bad" repair work in the past. I am sure, with time that it could all be straightened out. Every single place that you see disruption (voids, holes, cracks, etc.) in that glass surface you'll need to grind open and deep V the damaged areas for new resin/mat. I think I'd almost consider replacing that driver's side door skin. Your overall gaps aren't too bad but you've got the typical "lift" at some edges as those panels have warped. I'd do all the raw fiberglass repair first, do some fitting, cream out with a surfacing filler, then move on to a sprayable polyester style filler like Slick Sand, Feather Fill, etc. Guide coat the crap out of that in maybe a couple of sessions, move on to a 2k high build, guide coat that until happy, and seal it all up with epoxy...... ready to move into color/clears. That is looking like about 100 hours of work to me..... And I know this is going to sound odd, but try to allow some extra dry/cure time between those steps. With a project like this I don't think I would be putting a date on the calendar and saying I will be done with it by then.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic