1mph bumper impact on concret wall needs repair

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:47 pm
Hi, I am brand new here and would like some advice about some tiny damage.

A quick synopsis: 12 inch long, 1 inch tall strip on rear plastic bumper has tiny imperfections, mostly white spots from damaged paint cause by very minor impact with concrete wall. Looking for advice to fix.
_____

The long version:

I have a brand new Chevy sedan in the Nightfall Gray Metallic color , a dark metallic gray. I parked it on a flat surface in a parking garage, put it in neutral and accidentally did not put on the parking brake. The garage was not actually flat, so the car unknowingly slightly rolled backward into a concrete wall. the impact was very, very minor but enough to cause a very tiny bit of paint damage to the rear, plastic bumper.

I took pictures but it is impossible to see the damage, but basically about a 12 inch strip about 1 inch tall has tiny pinhole dots where the clear and paint has been damaged. It looks like little white spots, and it is not concrete. It does not appear polishing will help.

I want to get this fixed but I prefer to not have the bumper removed and/or completely painted. I'd prefer a fix to that tiny area and then blended or whatever is necessary.

Does anyone have any advice about what I should really do? Even though you have to look really close to see the damage I'm not going to leave it this way. Just looking for advice before I go forward. Most shops seem to want to repaint the whole thing. No thank you!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 pm
Most shops want to paint the whole thing because if that is not done they'll just show up as different color dots if addressed individually. To me most metallics in the silver family never look right when done as "touch-up."
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 pm
DarrelK wrote:Most shops want to paint the whole thing because if that is not done they'll just show up as different color dots if addressed individually. To me most metallics in the silver family never look right when done as "touch-up."

Thanks for the reply. If fully painted, the whole thing has the potential to contrast a lot against the fenders and trunk. Hmm.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:15 am
RacingJM wrote:
DarrelK wrote:Most shops want to paint the whole thing because if that is not done they'll just show up as different color dots if addressed individually. To me most metallics in the silver family never look right when done as "touch-up."

Thanks for the reply. If fully painted, the whole thing has the potential to contrast a lot against the fenders and trunk. Hmm.

your bumpers dont match your car anyway most likely, they usually never do. if you want cheap fix use a mobile auto repair, or have a shop do it right
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:34 am
Are you certain that a good detailer couldn't fix it? If the damage has not gone all the way through the clear coat it is a possibility. If it is damaged all the way down to the base paint or primer, then yes the bumper needs to be repainted.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:49 am
A good shop can prep the cover blend in the base coat and clear the complete cover as not to base next to the rear fenders or qurt. panels.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic